Home Unreal Engine

UE4-Lock camera rotation?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Is there a way to lock camera rotation. I can lock the camera movement but the camera still moves when the viewport is rotated. I want this for still imagery and don't want the camera to move. I have googled this and it seems this can only be done with blueprint? I am wondering by now there should be a simple tick and untick box or something. if not so, why isn't there something like this or adding this simple requirement is going to cause issues with the engine?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Through blueprints is the easiest and fastest way. 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. Thanks. I just wondered why no tick button or something. Definitely will start learning the blueprint thingy. I have heard wonders about it.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, is there a command you can type in the output log and it freezes or locks the camera's rotation and movement all together and also another to unlock? All the blueprints I have seen so far seem to only work with the play button (game mode). Is there one that works in the camera viewport as you move stuff around outside game mode?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    No. Blueprints runs at runtine, except construction scripts. That can run in the editor once. Or as many times as you run it but its not something that is constantly running. 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not familiar with construction scripts tbh. Is there somewhere I can get a construction scripts for cameras that freezes or locks it? I don't get why the devs couldn't just add a lock camera feature. This is something that a lot of archviz people need when working. With this construction script,it means I would need to run it everytime I open the editor? I am fine with that, until ue4 devs come up with something.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The construction script wouldnt help you because it only runs once and not on every frame. So its not usable for what you want.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's unfortunate. I don't get why this is not a feature in ue4. I guess because it hasn't been used for archviz until recently. I have set up a thread on the ue4 forums. Hopefully it triggers a discussion for arch viz people over there and the devs add this. It just wierd you can lock an actor's movement but not the rotation.

Thanks for the info, mate.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Camera's in Unreal are just that, cameras. To control how to manipulate a camera, you need a SpringArm. The Camera is the child of the SwingArm and the swing arm is where you adjust offsetting and rotations. Under the one of the menus for the SpringArm is camera settings which offers some checkboxes on inheriting control rotation (from the pawn it controls), as well as checkboxes to only have certain axes affect the camera. If you want none, then disable the Control Rotation.

Look into SwingArm in the Unreal docs to clarify their full use.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will look into this. I am not using ue4 atm. Thanks Butthair