Home Technical Talk

Nasty Viewport Bug in Maya 2017

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
brettmarshalltucker polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys!

I've recently switched over to Maya 2017, using LT mostly but I have the student version of the full software as well. In both versions, I get this nasty viewport bug in edit mode, shown in this gif. When I even hover my mouse over a face/edge/vertex, the viewport flickers in and out like so. It doesn't seem to happen in the perspective view when it happens in an orthographic view and vice versa. It makes it nearly impossible to do edits but it doesn't happen all of the time. Though, every day that I work with the software, I have to deal with it at some point. Closing the program and reopening doesn't always fix it, either. How can this be resolved? Let me know if I didn't give enough info.

Thanks in advance!
BMT

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Ouch. When the screen flips over, I see some face selected that doesn't seem to correspond with the viewport. Would that be the UVs we're seeing? Are you using the default four-view layout (persp and orthos), or are you using some other layouts, like persp/uv? Does that white box also correspond with some background window like a video player? Laptop? Single or multiple monitor? What OS? Some other interfering background program? Just trying to think of relevant things here.

For basic troubleshooting, I'd start with switching display mode in maya prefs and see how that goes. Display can be OpenGL or DirectX. Also look into video card driver updates. Deleting maya preferences might help.
  • brettmarshalltucker
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch. When the screen flips over, I see some face selected that doesn't seem to correspond with the viewport. Would that be the UVs we're seeing? Are you using the default four-view layout (persp and orthos), or are you using some other layouts, like persp/uv? Does that white box also correspond with some background window like a video player? Laptop? Single or multiple monitor? What OS? Some other interfering background program? Just trying to think of relevant things here.

For basic troubleshooting, I'd start with switching display mode in maya prefs and see how that goes. Display can be OpenGL or DirectX. Also look into video card driver updates. Deleting maya preferences might help.
    Hey, thanks for replying!
    Let me try to consider each point you brought up. These are faces, not UVs, I can assume due to the fact that the mesh had yet to be unwrapped. I know Maya auto generates UVs from the get go but I don't think it's trying to display the UV editor or anything. This was captured in an isolated perspective view but it will happen *only* in the perspective view when I have it in four-view layout mode. It happens in ortho views rarely. I can debunk any background software interfering because it is happening to me right now and Maya LT is the only program I have open.

I am using a late 2015 iMac, single monitor, macOS Sierra (version 10.12.5) with an AMD Radeon R9 M395 (2gb). It seems that my drivers are up to date but Mac handles those differently and updates them with each OS update, from what I understand. I think it must have something to do with the way the viewport is being rendered but Mac doesn't play nice with Direct X rendering. In the Display options, under Viewport 2.0, I only see two Open GL methods - Legacy and Core Profile (Strict) which is what I had it tuned to. I'll try the Legacy option.

Thanks for the help, it's definitely a weird issue that I assume is pretty rare!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    does "OGS -reset" fix it.... that will reboot the viewport...
  • throttlekitty
    oglu said:
    I've found that pausing and unpausing the viewport does a better job at a reboot (no idea what it does differently), forgot all about suggesting it!
  • brettmarshalltucker
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    I'm assuming this should be put in the MEL input box? It says that it cannot find the procedure when I try.

oglu said:
    I've found that pausing and unpausing the viewport does a better job at a reboot (no idea what it does differently), forgot all about suggesting it!
    I googled it and it mentions the Hypershade editor and pausing updates to the viewport. This is what you mean, right? I will be sure to try that when it starts happening again! Thanks!
  • throttlekitty

oglu said:
    I googled it and it mentions the Hypershade editor and pausing updates to the viewport. This is what you mean, right? I will be sure to try that when it starts happening again! Thanks!
    There's a pause icon in the main window, grouped with the rendering icons.