Home Technical Talk

About Mental Ray and GPU Rendering

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
HectorLucas polycounter lvl 2
So I updated my graphic card from a GTX 650 to a GTX 1060 expecting to get better render times on a pretty heavy scene (many polys, textures, etc.) But when I had my hands on it I didn't see any improvement at all at my render times so I started a deep deep research looking for the problem and did many different things (Activate GI Next as well as GI Prototype, downloading a script from nVidia site to enable GPU, updating Mental Ray to the very last version, formatting my entire computer... and still nothing, same render times as with old GPU.

So then I've read somewhere that GPU render on Mental Ray only do some few things like AO for example. I turn on AO and finally saw some GPU ussage on GPU-Z program.

So is that it when it comes to GPU render? It can't really improve render times on a simple (but very big) scene? Or I'm missing something? Should I save my money to get a new CPU instead? I'm a little disappointed by the whole thing :(

Please note I've to work with Mental Ray, doesn't have time to change all my scenes and learn about iray or V-Ray.

Thank you :)