Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique/paintover help! How can I improve my lighting for an illustration I'm working on?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Charlight polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone!

My name is Charlotte! This is my first time posting on Polycount and I'm wondering if it was possible to get some critique for a piece I'm currently working on?
I'm mostly looking for some feedback about the lighting of the overall piece and the scale of the character/any glaring anatomical issues (except for the obvious hands as they're very unfinished!). I'm having a really hard time trying to get everything to look like it's unified as I know how the colours are quite saturated and I'm not entirely competent in lighting a full scene - only really stand-alone characters.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could do a little paint-over to adjust some shadows/highlights and am very much able to take honest and concise feedback to improve! Thank you! 

Replies

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    Hey  Charlight ,
    I did a quick paintover for you, i won't touch the anatomy parts because I'm no good at it.
    When you have warm light use cool shadows and vice versa, here since the light is behind her and a warm yellow, i made a new multiply layer, use some pale blue, and roughly blocked in what doesn't get direct light.
    For the horses, go harder on your edges they're powerful animals.
    You have a rim light situation going here, go frankly about it.
    Under the multiply layer, i made a new overlay layer, and added a big soft splash of pale yellow behind her and over the clouds to the right.
    Resculpted the horse nostril a bit.
    Use reference for the clouds, they're tricky puff balls.
    Don't get to attached to details, think of you focus point.
    I always advise people to go check out ctrlpaint.com to, great short tutorials.
    I hope I helped a bit :)