Home Technical Talk

Sculpting and Animating [Warning: Beginner question]

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello guys, I've got a few questions about software and stuff. So my priority is to learn animation, but I don't want to do this while using some free 3D models. I want to know how things work from the very beginning. So 2 months ago I've been doing a lot of speed sculpts in Zbrush (my trial has ended and I don't have money to buy it tho), and I know that Sculptris and Mudbox are also sculpting softwares, so I'm planning of trying them out (downloaded both of them, so far I don't know which one is better?). I'm also trying to learn modeling in Maya, but it seems so much harder than sculpting (I mean, when it comes to characters/creatures, I've heard it's great for hard surfaces and enviro tho). And all these high/low poly talk (which I barely understand) made me wonder if it's actually smart to sculpt characters when I want to make animations with them. Cuz it means they gotta be low poly cuz my PC is gonna die with high poly stuff? Right?  There's also something about topology/retopology which I don't understand at all. Buuut, is there any possibility (and is it a good idea) to sculpt characters in Mudbox/Sculptris and then import them to Maya and then somehow prepare it for animation or is it better to just model characters in Maya from the very beginning?  If so, are there any tutorials you can really recommend? Because yes, I know there's tone of them on youtube, but maybe you know some of "the best" for a person like me, a newbie? 
Thanks so much for you answers and help, I hope you can understand everything, since English is not my first language. I DID MY BEST.