Home Technical Talk

Couple of questions about closed meshes and smoothing groups

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HammerB polycounter lvl 11
Hiya, folks!

I've recently started out with Maya (couple of days maybe) and I've been modeling some stuff, but I have a couple of doubts abut modeling for games (More specifically UE4 and baking maps with xnormal and substance, both are softwares that I'm gonna use in the game art course I'm starting after summer)

1) Just for practicing, I tried to make this sci-fi-ish revolver, but the topology came out a mesh (I don't control properly the tools yet) but when I was working on it i saw some models online and i've noticed that many of them don't use closed meshes or topology flowing all over their model, but insted, they intersect another set of poligons, like this

So, In the first cube, the secondary cube is extruded from a face above it, In the second, the secondary cube is a cobe with it's bottom face deleted, combined with the first one and intersected.
I've seen this in some models and i was wondering when it's good for using and when it's not, since modeliing that way seems like it solves problem when you can block your models out of pieces.

2) My second question is about smoothing groups in Maya. In 3ds max it's fairly easy to use and control, but in Maya I'm not entirely sure how do they work, which is the max recommended in a model in an engine such as Unreal Engine 4?
Sorry for bothering, thanks for taking the time to read and answer. :)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     In Maya you have hard and soft edges. You select an edge and define it as hard by going into Mesh Display>Soften/Harden Edge.

Generally the 1st is better. It gives better shading, there is less wasted space in the UV layout and there less of a chance of z fighting.
  • HammerB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HammerB polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Mark. Much appreciated :) I hope I will start posting thing that are actually worthy here in some time.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on the gun regardless, keep it up!

For intersecting, it's another "it depends" things, screws always come to mind. If this gun was to be used in first person and had screws and pits, I'd model those in. But for some industrial environment props with lots of bolt heads sticking out, I'd just sink some lowpoly cylinders in.