Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][WIP] Dynamic Snow Game Environment

vertex
Offline / Send Message
dylan_amos vertex
Hello!

I've been collaborating with a buddy of mine in order to create a full playable Dynamic Snow Game Environment. We're both university students at CSU Chico studying Computer Animation and Game Development. We'll be graduating this month!

As the name states, it's an environment where snow will dynamically build up and melt. As it currently stands, I have the dynamic snow buildup working as well as the weather picking up with it. There are still quite a few things I'm working on such as having the snow build up properly on any asset and a masking system so there can be realistic movement through snow. All in all, there's still a lot to do!

In this demo, I'm showing off the system using sequencer, but, it's fully functional in gameplay. I also disabled sounds since it sounded odd sped up.

Dylan Amos (myself):
-Dynamic Snow System
-Blueprint
-Material Management
-Landscape Materials
-Game Optimization
-UI (Menu/Options/HUD)
-Sounds (Ambience, assets)
-Landscape sculpting and painting

Luke Neubaum (the buddy)
-Assets
-Characters (The robots)
-Rigging
-Foliage
-Landscape (World Machine)

Duo:
-Lighting managment
-Asset placement

Addon:
-Ultra Dynamic Sky (Using this until I get around creating my own)

Replies

• EliasWick
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    This is very cool, I would love to know some statistics on how heavy the snow system is, in terms of FPS :)
    Is the snow system made out of blueprints only or done through C++ Code?
  • dylan_amos
    Offline / Send Message
    dylan_amos vertex
    Glad you like it @EliasWick !

The overall cost of the Dynamic Snow System in it's current state is actually pretty low. During the whole buildup process, and while the snow is present, there's only around a 2-3 fps loss. The results are consistent on: 

CPU's: i7 4710HQ, i7-6700HQ , i7 4670k, i7 6700k
    GPU's: GTX 860M, GTX 970M, GTX 970, GTX 1080

As for how I'm making it, it's a combination of custom blueprints, material functions, parameters, and masks. 

Hopefully this answers your questions! 

Edit: I'm currently working on finals for various classes and need to put this project on hold for around a week. Once my finals conclude, I'll be working a lot more on this! In addition to that, Luke and I plan on publishing a much better demo video before the months end hopefully. The current one was created in a rush for a school event. And in the new video, I'll make sure to show examples of the dynamic snow systems performance.