Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Opening with broken meshes

GuanAndOnly
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, do any of you know why my file opens up with a broken mesh? I started the project in Max 2015 at home, worked on it at school in Max 2017, saved for 2015, and when I open it up at home the meshes that I created in 2017 are broken.

Replies

• Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Do you by any chance have uncollapsed Edit poly modifiers in the stack of those broken objects?
  • GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you by any chance have uncollapsed Edit poly modifiers in the stack of those broken objects?
    :0
    Yes I do! Is that the source of the problem? 
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    They can be problematic, sometimes. When on the same machine and max version, they rarely break but otherwise it's better to collapse those to prevent problems like these (basically, the subobject indices are renumbered and all the operations you did in the modifier are executed on a different vert/edge/poly; editable poly itself is safe, it's just the modifier that has this issue).
  • GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They can be problematic, sometimes. When on the same machine and max version, they rarely break but otherwise it's better to collapse those to prevent problems like these (basically, the subobject indices are renumbered and all the operations you did in the modifier are executed on a different vert/edge/poly; editable poly itself is safe, it's just the modifier that has this issue).
    Ahhh, you're right. I went back to the school labs and it opened up fine.
    Guess I'll just do different projects when I'm home, haha.
    Thanks dude!