Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Killer Croc Concept wip: C&C welcomed

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
WhosTonyRamos polycounter lvl 2

Hey All! 

I was looking for some feedback on this early concept art for a Killer Croc sculpt I'm going to work on. Once I have an idea of the face and the pose, I plan on sketching the back of this pose and some clothes variations.

For some background, Killer Croc is a Batman villain, who is usually illustrated as a green human crocodile mutant hybrid. For this project I wanted to make him more human with a scaly skin condition like GreyScale from Game of Thrones. Because of his condition he has been shunned and abused and eventually falls into a life of crime. After sometime he finds new attention as a sideshow attraction at the gotham carnival wharf where he takes on the name "Killer Croc". For once people want to see him now and over years to fit his new persona, he tattoos his body, files his teeth to points, adds crocodile-like scar markings, and even cuts off his own ears. On the side he bodyguards for local gangs and eventually becomes a crime kingpin himself in smuggling and narcotics.

Any C&C is welcome!

Replies

• WhosTonyRamos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im continuing to work on the concept art. What do you all think about the variations I have so far? Im not sure which I'm feeling more and any thoughts or new ideas would be appreciated.

• Jamie!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! polycounter lvl 7
    The second version, with the vest is probably the most interesting one.  He almost has a southern biker feel which I think fits with the idea of Killer Croc better than a topless gangster.  You could probably play this up even further by matching his tattoos a little better to the clothing and story. 

The text on his chest works, but around it you've got a bit of a filigree that almost looks like it belongs in the old west instead of on your circus monster.  Those tattoos tell us more about the person he is than the clothing he wears.  The tattoo on his arm feels like it's somewhere between Native American art and traditional Japanese tattoos.  Dig up some research on biker tattoos or even circus performers.  Freak shows used to have people like the painted lady.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/91/08/78910805df345d900dfa6d0c970ef50e.jpg

• WhosTonyRamos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, Jamie.

You bring up a really good point about the tattoos. I've been working on some reworks to make him seem less generic and also added a new tattoo variation based on "american Old school" tattoos like on the painted lady and bikers.

If you see or anyone else let me know what you think.