Home Career & Education

Changing game-dev studio during project?

maxserius
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
maxserius polycounter lvl 3
So guys, I have some hard times right now. I working right now in company and everyone here works on big triple-a title. 1,5 month ago I got new job offer in really good place and with a little bit more of $$. Since here, where I'm right now something doesn't work like it should, we obviously work on game, but not like I think we should. Progress seems to be slow, and there is some people that can't believe we will manage to finish it and make a great, fantastic game. Some people also complaints here a lot, and doesn't look optimistic which for some can be stressful, depressing. This is my first game-dev company, and I manage to work here only on one title and only in final stage, now i work on project from start and I wondering if this is good idea to change work place during project? What do you think?

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the full dev cycle thing usually goes as "nice to have" feature when reviewing resumes, but it is by FAR, FAR less important than your folio. Even among the other "nice to have" resume things I wouldn't put on top of the list.  Besides, I fail to see what "last minute" pre-launch work proves, other than that you suffered through polishing assets someone else made, participated in crunch and had the stomach to endure bad overtime food which you hurriedly ate at your desk.

Besides, the "you haven't done a full dev cycle" argument is easily countered. Just think of tasks you did which are similar to tasks occuring at pre-production, production and post-production and talk about them: what you did, what you learned.

If a new job is an immediate improvement of your situation, go for it!
    And even today it often appears that quitting is still a good  way to advance your career, unless you work for a top place.

Your work mates will likely understand. Some of them may have the same intentions, if it's really as bad as you say. Staying on will not give you many benefits, unless you guys really manage to pull together and release a class A title, worthy of having on the resume. But hey, even if you quit early, you can put the title on your resume - just quitting early doesn't mean you didn't pull your weight while you were there.

Anyway, think of a good reason for quitting. Like lack of personal development, etc. You don't want to sound negative, defeatist or pessimistic when someone asks you why you're looking for something new. Working at a badly run place can really affect your mental attitude, but don't carry that into your job search.

Good luck!

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Is shipping the project really intrinsically important to you? Maybe it is. But maybe that's an excuse to stay in a situation that doesn't make you happy.

It's good to be a passionate team player, but ultimately, it's a job. You're doing it not just because the company has needs, but because you do as well. You and your employer both contract each other. It's a relationship. For every company there's a set of conditions that would cause them to dump you, so treat them the same way. Have your own standards. You owe it to yourself to find the work that makes you happy. Is shipping this project going to do that?

Look out for your own interests. If you have better prospects, then why not take them? Your coworkers will understand, many would do the same thing. And losing workers sends a signal to the employer to improve themselves, too.

• maxserius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxserius polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for comment on this thread.

Well, I really understand what you saying. Only one thing which keep me here is that I work on great triple-a project which from idea&doc perspective looks ... awesome ... but week after week I starting realize that this can be hard task to complete and to release with team that we have. People here just starts to complaints on that how company works. We are small so maybe that's why. I'm also see these things but that doesn't mean it's really bad. Everything just could be better.

I'm in situation which isn't clear for me. From one perspective I have cool good paid job and a lot of capabilities, and co-workers that can be treated like family. From different perspective something tells me that I don't belong here and sooner or later I will leave this place.

If I will decide to leave, almost everyone here will be shocked with my decission to be honest and I don't care but I also don't want to burn bridges. Probably everyone here thinks that I feel great here, I didn't even spoke about problems and usually always said "yeap, it's good".