Home Technical Talk

Creating clothes with bones for game engine

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mendicantes polycounter lvl 6
The title says it all. Bones are obligatory. Does anyone know technique of creation  in 3ds max?  Maybe some scripts to convert selected vertex to bones ? Looking for any good solution to create bone matrix. Please gyus, help me with this pain :dizzy:

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You wouldn't have a matrix. More like "tails" for the hanging cloth parts. Like on this picture:

http://docs.cryengine.com/download/attachments/1310810/Cloth01.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1276271907000&api=v2
  • Mendicantes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    You wouldn't have a matrix. More like "tails" for the hanging cloth parts. Like on this picture:

http://docs.cryengine.com/download/attachments/1310810/Cloth01.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1276271907000&api=v2
    Thank you for the reply which has erased my doubts, as i thought that  should be that way of creating. So the next step after making those tails will be assinging a constraints to them ? 
    In this case i need few more tips: how to prevent bone strecthing in the chain ? Is massFX tool in 3ds max good for that ?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    From here we would need to know what is the end application of this because thats what it depends on, how would you set up the physics bodies for the simulation.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If using ue4 there are some new cloth tools from Epic's r&d on Paragon. There is also a fully clothed character you can study in the ue content examples
  • Mendicantes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    From here we would need to know what is the end application of this because thats what it depends on, how would you set up the physics bodies for the simulation.
    If using ue4 there are some new cloth tools from Epic's r&d on Paragon. There is also a fully clothed character you can study in the ue content examples
    I am creating a cape for the "Waframe" game, which is built on "Evolution" engine. They require in their guide to describe cloth movement with not more than 64 bones. So this is my model

And I plan to make those braided ropes, which connect metal elements (what should not be deformable), to be deformable, but resistant to forces - returning to initial position like a spring without linear stretching. And the cloth should behave like cloth. 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In 4.16 they are also overhauling their apex cloth solver to be faster and lighter, actually Nvidia did it upon Epic's request. They are also integrating the apex clothing tools into the unreal editor. Previously you had to use Maya/Max plug-ins which are horribly broken and don't work with the latest versions.

Anim dynamics (joint based physics, using only unreal) is also getting some upgrades in 4.16.

If you can get apex to work with Max or Maya, it should work fine. If not, anim dynamics is easy enough to work with and should be able to pull that off.