Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP, Star Trek "Tarawa" Class Cruiser

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Y-NOT486 polycounter lvl 5

Just started modeling my concept of a Star Trek ship, still need to do some additional detail modeling on the secondary hull, smaller details can be achieved with normal maps. Texturing is admittedly not my strong suit as my portfolio shows, I'm curious if a 3D Modeler's portfolio can have nothing but untextured yet well-rendered models? Show where their talent counts most without showing where they are lacking.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I think the consensus here tends to be that you should generally not have untextured/incomplete work in your portfolio.  It gives the impression that you're not able to carry through and finish projects.  Unless a studio is looking specifically for someone to do modeling only they're going to want to see everything, HP models, LP textured/baked models, UV layouts and texture flats, etc.  Even if a position is for modeling-only, a candidate who can demonstrate that they can model and texture and do lighting is going to have a much better chance landing the job than someone who appears to be a one-trick pony.

I would recommend following through the complete asset pipeline on anything you're putting in your portfolio.  If you want to show off untextured models or WIP items, put that stuff on a blog or a separate site.

Edit:  I also just wanted to say, if texturing is not your strong suit, avoiding texture work is not going to help you.  Just bite the bullet and texture the model.  Even if it doesn't come out great, that's ok.  Post it here, get some feedback, iterate on it until it looks good.  The next asset you work on will take less time and look even better and you'll have a better understanding of how to do it.  You need to force yourself outside of your comfort zone, that's the only way to improve.
  • Y-NOT486
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I get it. How do I delete this thread then?
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    don't have the thread deleted, keep sharing progress!
  • Y-NOT486
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy said:
    don't have the thread deleted, keep sharing progress!

oh, ok. wasn't sure what the rules were for this. I thought CrackRockSteady meant work had to be completed to post in this thread.
  • CrackRockSteady
    I think the consensus here tends to be that you should generally not have untextured/incomplete work in your portfolio.  

I was responding directly to your question about putting untextured models in a portfolio.  You can and absolutely should post WIP images here in this thread to get feedback.
  • Y-NOT486
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

JoshuaG said:
    Based on your portfolio, I think you should really stay away from doing starships and focus more on your environment/prop art. Something like a vehicle and larger for a portfolio should be a very huge task that should take up a few months to complete. Even more for a spaceship.

If you're not sure what to do, there's several polycount challenges going on right now that you should highly consider in participating.

This model was really only done because I'm part of a Fan group on Facebook who like designing starships and I figured it would make for some good practice.

as for my portfolio, originally I wanted to create a star citizen-like ship from the inside out as new centerpiece but I wasn't sure I should spend months working on a single project. I have no doubt everything currently on my portfolio needs to go but I need to replace it all with more than one project.

• Y-NOT486
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG said:
    If you're not sure what to do, there's several polycount challenges going on right now that you should highly consider in participating.

Actually decided to try that out, looks like they're doing a one asset a day thing, managed to crank out my first one.

http://polycount.com/discussion/186685/3daily-y-not486#latest

Maybe I can start building a new portfolio (at least the prop section) from whatever I manage to come up with over the next couple weeks. still using Quixel, but I'll start learning Substance along the way since I hear it's more popular and powerful a tool.