Home Career & Education

Advice on directions and which field I should focus on

null
Offline / Send Message
Adsros null
After watching a 'Killer Portfolio or Portfolio Killer? Industry Artists Weigh in' on YouTube, they suggested to become more active in the artist community's and recommended this website. Without digressing into an introduction, I feel as though it is important to get a better understanding of the predicament I am in. I am currently on my final year at university in the UK and will be looking for work in the industry. The units the course taught was a mixture of 3D modelling, programming (Unity/ C#), game design(game states and level design), as well as business. While I feel as though I have a good understanding of all these topics, I feel as I don't excel in any of them. 

I feel as though I have proficient knowledge of Zbrush and Maya but when it comes to content creation I feel completely lost on what to create. My ambition is to become a level designer but I also enjoy doing 3D modelling. Which should I pursue when creating a portfolio and should I provide a variety of content and skills or focus on one specific style?
Here is an image of my first Zbrush model submitted for an assignment.

As this was my first big zbrush model I feel as though its pretty good however the comments from the feedback didn't like the that it was in a T-shape. Is designing models in a T-shape a bad idea? I was told that it is beneficial to do so when rigging and animating?

Now the predicament. I don't feel as though I am ready to apply for any jobs in the sector and as I am based in the southwest of the UK, there are hardly any positions looking for 3D artists. There are much more options towards London and in the North of the UK however it's a monumental leap into relocating which I personally don't feel as though I am ready for.  My plan was to spend a year out and in my spare time build up my portfolio before applying for jobs. 

To summarise these are my main questions when it comes to portfolio work and asset creation.
  • Finding your direction? I like organic modelling but am also trying to learn a bit of hard-surface. As a modeller in the industry are you required to know a variety of techniques or is it better to become proficient in a singular area?
  • T-Shape models, yay or nay?
  • As a modeller should I have knowledge of rigging and animation? I feel as though I should however the university course never touched that subject as animation had its own course.
  • When creating assets for a portfolio is it better to work on larger projects or buff it out with smaller models? The video suggests to produce quality over quantity but surely you would need to teach yourself a variety of skills before applying them to a larger project?
  • Is it better to follow tutorials or to use your creativity to guide you and your style?

Besides working on my dissertation I am slowly trying to produce content for my portfolio but I believe my problem is that I feel as though I don't have that direction. I am well driven and determined to become apart of this industry but where to begin is where I'm struggling to figure out.

Thanks
Adam