Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: Color ID Map creates new color around edges when importing into DDO.

Sparto
null
Offline / Send Message
Sparto null
Hey guys today I tried creating a new project in DDO. I created my material ID maps like I always do. first by taking a UV snapshot and filling it in, in PS. The edges are 100% hard until I import them into DDO. I tried exporting it as a JPG, PNG, TGA, TIFF and the same thing happens all the time. White and black background don't change it. Neither does having a transparent background.  Whats going on? I have a Uni assessment in for Wednesday so this really needs fixing... Cheers guys!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You should be using an uncompressed PNG. If you're compressing it, that's probably where that artifact comes from. Either way, that should have no impact on your project - it's on the outside border of your UV shell, and would fall into the padding zone, provided you gave enough padding to the shells to avoid bleeding.

If for some reason this issue continues, you can always take your IDs and turn them into masks using the technique I've described on page 16: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oBWR4
  • Sparto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparto null
    It is uncompressed. The map looks 100% fine unitl it goes into DDO. I used the exact same method as another models ID map and that worked... I will just leave it and try and pass with just the model I have done already. Thanks for the help
  • Sparto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparto null
    This is my Material ID map in full. I dont see whats wrong with it... (Excuse the bad UV's I just want it done)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    This happens on my machine as well using your supplied file. I suspect there's some kind of compression artifact that DDO is seeing that we're not. Regardless, the one pixel of additional color is only happening outside of the shell, and should have no effect on the final textures.
  • Sparto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparto null
    Hello again! this is what the ID map looks like when it's on the model in 3DO. when I place a material over the ID those white parts are still showing through (But in the default gray)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    One thing to note is that I can't verify the previous statement without your mesh, but it should generally work. If you do encounter a one pixel bleeding error on the edges, the best solution is to add more padding to the shells to bypass the problem entirely. Failing that, following the instructions on page 16 of the DDO tutorial I linked earlier will resolve this as well. It can be used in conjunction with your current setup.

You can also use the Blur function in the Material IDs rollout of DynaMask to add padding without reimporting or changing the original source textures.
  • Sparto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparto null
    Awesome! From reading this I managed to take UV snapshots with the parts I wanted filled in white and the rest black. I use this as a mask for the materials in DDO! Thanks for your help! :D
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    No worries. Sorry about the trouble!

You might be able to speed it up next time using the Blur function I mentioned earlier. :)