Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Trim Sheet Work

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JonConley polycounter lvl 14
Recently saw some nice work doing a water mill with a single 512x512 texture (specs given) and decided I wanted to see what I could do with a limited texture space. I've only done a small number of hand painted props and figured this was a way to get better at  painting in general and was just a fun way to do so.

There are more props and buildings to come and I still have some space to work with to add a few smaller things. Right now I am thinking some small foilage and maybe a section to make a windmill.

The well needs some updates to the uvs and changing the vertex colors around the rim. Some variation in the mesh should help it look more interesting as well. The biggest issue I had was the metal bar on the well since I actually don't have a tiling metal that would work for something like that in my sheet. I will see what I can do to make that better.

As of right now I plan on making a little cart, bucket, watermill, a couple of houses, blacksmith building, stables.

I am using vertex coloration to get some variation and to add some darker edges .

Trim sheet:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    This is coming along great. I like how the planks are uneven and not repetitive for the raised walkway.

I think the brighter wood-end is too bright, grabs too much attention, should be closer in value to the wood sides.

Steps look bad intersecting the stair rails.

Hub of waterwheel is too detailed compared to main wheel... Stretch the UVs in there more.

Metal rims around wheel should have thickness (from the side).

Wheel should have more curvature. Low polycount there is odd compared to detail on rest of prop.

Dark corners on wood beams and on stones looks odd, not like how real objects work.

Stylization should always be built upon real world principles.

Going great so far, can't wait to see more.