Home Technical Talk

Normal map baking gone horribly wrong. [Maya 2017]

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello friends,

So, I'm working on a final project for my modeling ii class, and as the criteria was "any moving vehicle", i decided to be a pompous ass and do something that was probably way out of my league; the FFR-41MR "Mave", aka the plane from Yuukikaze. TL;DR, i'm at normal map baking and having some horrible problems. I've normal mapped a few basic things before, but never anything this complicated.

Initially I didnt harden my high poly enough before smoothing, and didn't harden my UV edges. At the suggestion of the teacher, I re-copied my lowpoly and re-did my entire high poly model, and now when smoothed it lines up almost perfectly with my lowpoly still. Great. I UV mapped everything out, ran a harden edge script, and baked. It came out ~ok~, but was could still use some work.

Part 1 of the problem is that a few of those problems I don't know how to fix. 

1 and 2 have lines along the edges. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those can be fixed by separating the UV's and re-hardening the edges correct?
3 shows the "fuzziness" problem, where most of the model has this fuzz like texture on it. It also shows the start of the problem in 4., which is where some faces show ~ok~ from certain angles, but then move the camera and it defaults to the error-black.

So I went to make some minor corrections like pulling apart UV's and re-hardening edges, and went to re-bake everything, and this is where it all goes horribly wrong. It goes from "needing a few tweaks" to this abomination

What. The. Hell. Happened. I didn't change any settings, only moved a few of the UV's around, and it came out looking like THIS. This is what I'm stuck on now, and no amount of fiddling is helping. I desperately need help on this, as the project is due Tuesday, and I'm not sure if the professor reads emails on the weekends.

Lastly, these 2 images are the UV map itself and the "good" bake that only needed a few tweaks. The giant green spot was because I didn't pull the UV's for the mirrored side over, which is an easy fix. Is this happening because I've combined and mirrored the half over and then normal baked it? I'm honestly at a loss.

Replies