Home Technical Talk

I am totally stumped with chains.

Rise
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Rise polycounter lvl 2
I am just starting to learn how to model more complicated things and in doing this i thought i would try my hand at scenes, in this scene i will have a chained up coffin being suspended by more chains, that are wrapped around rocks, i found a concept art from a user on this site, i find it easiest to learn by trying to figure out how others achieved something, i will link their original art and my own, any help in achieving this chain wrapping result would be awesome, I am currently working in Maya 2016, any advice on whether this is a good idea would also be appreciated.

Here are the Images, Any help will be really appreciated

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This image wasn't from a concept so much as a 3d diorama Jac finished off only last week. You can see his thread here along with final shots:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/184330/stylised-diorama-do-not-disturb-may-contain-boss

as for the chains I believe he made a couple of links and then pathed them along a spline. most of the work is done by a nice spline shape. All the links use the same texture.

another technique is to model the chains in the way I just described, and bake that model to simple plane. It's a more practical way to render things in game.
  • Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    Hey @Rise! Welcome to the world of 3D Modelling. I'm glad you like the design, though I'd appreciate it if you linked to the thread or the artstation where I posted it. :)
    Fearian is correct, I modelled two chain links (separate objects) and then gave both objects an array modifier. I also used a simple deform modifier to twist the whole array, this breaks up the repetition. Finally I used a curve modifier to get all the chains to deform along with a spline. This made it really easy to tweak the chains without being destructive!
    I hope this helps! :)