Home Technical Talk

Zsphere trouble!

vertex
Offline / Send Message
PinkZebra vertex
Howdy people :)

So I've just begun work in Zbrush, and my current assignment is to create a dinosaur from scratch. I'm following a video tutorial at the moment which makes it look incredibly easy. 
I managed to follow quite well, or so I thought. When I push 'a' for the 'preview', however, I'm getting some indentations where the thighs should be joining onto the caboose. I've been trying to tweak it all day, and the only way I can get rid of that caving section so far is to spread the legs, which looks rather ridiculous and also makes the butt suddenly so huge.
Is this just a case of making a ton of tweaks, or is there something more simple I can do here? And is it normal that this is happening?

Cheers :)

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just the nature of ZSPHERE topo. Don't even worry about it. Sort it out in the sculpt. Getting hung up about something like this at the very early stages of a sculpt is completely unnecessary.  Sculpts usually look like shit for a certain amount of time in the process  even for the most experienced of sculptors.  :)
  • PinkZebra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PinkZebra vertex
    Just the nature of ZSPHERE topo. Don't even worry about it. Sort it out in the sculpt. Getting hung up about something like this at the very early stages of a sculpt is completely unnecessary.  Sculpts usually look like shit for a certain amount of time in the process  even for the most experienced of sculptors.  :)
    Ahh I see! Glad it's not just me having the issue then. Thank you for the quick response :) 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Look at the arm of your dino where it connects to the body, you see the zsphere shoulder joint. To get a biped form from zspheres add some hip joints before the thighs.

Cheerio
  • PinkZebra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PinkZebra vertex
    kanga said:
    Look at the arm of your dino where it connects to the body, you see the zsphere shoulder joint. To get a biped form from zspheres add some hip joints before the thighs.

Cheerio
    Hi Kanga,

Thank you for taking the time to show me a few tips there. I really appreciate it :)

I've had a go at adding the hip joint, and it's certainly helped a little with my issue. However I'm still having a few little problems. 
    In the tutorial video I'm following, the 3D preview seems sharp, just as yours does. Mine, however, not so much. It also becomes quite jagged in areas. When adding more divisions, it helps the area between the thigh and the arms, however the legs are still very bendy and I'm struggling to achieve that nice straight line from the get go.

Cheers!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi PinkZebra.
    Your zsphee model looks ok to me. I like to use less zspheres because as a start to a model a lower polycount gives me more flexability, but that is just a personal preference. The main thing is to avoid overlapping polys which means putting enough space between the spheres so that none of them appear transparent.

If you have a lot of jaggies on the profile of your zsphere preview that is normal and only has to do with your screen resolution. On the right side of your viewport there is a  'AAHalf' button (also found in the document menu at the top of the interface). click that and it will show your model at double resolution which is only increasing the image res. If your 'AAHalf' view is too small increase your canvas size, which is also in the document menu. For faster sculpting return your preview to normal resolution by pressing the Actual' button next to the AAHalf .

Cheerio