Home Technical Talk

How to find incompatible map/material in my BIG scene...?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
How to find incompatible map/material in my BIG scene...?

I have 3ds max and vray 3.4... i tried to open and render some old scenes created with vray 1.5 Sp3 (or something), but the scene isquite huge and there is some stupid map/material not really compatible with vray and thus really slowing down th rendering of the scene...

From what i know the problematic type is most likely Raytrace (material or map im not sure)... The problem is i cannot find it in my scene... its big and has around 250 materials...?

Is there some way how to find this material? Im not lucky, tried everything i thought of, downloaded some plugins but wasnt lucky...

I just need some tool to find the materials/maps (im not sure if its material of map since raytrace can be both). Or the object on which these material are placed on. So i can fuckin* delete the shit out of them from the scene so i can render it normally and not super slow...

How can i find specific material/map type in my scene in 3ds max 2015?

Replies

• KurtR
  • KurtR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Btw, you can also check your paths' by going to the utility tab, hit "more" and open Bitmap/photometric paths and "edit resources. Here you can strip out everything you don't want, but the relink bitmap is great to relink broken links.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you didn't mention missing textures. If you are missing a plugin you can use the Missing Plugin Object Explorer in Tools | All Global Explorers.

If you know the maxscript class you can easily find the materials with a script
    select (for obj in geometry where classof obj.material == RaytraceMaterial collect obj)

But if you don't know the maxscript class name you can kinda guess at it.
    select (for obj in geometry where matchpattern ((classof obj.material) as string) pattern:"*raytrace*" ignoreCase:true collect obj)

• Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    monster said:
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you didn't mention missing textures. If you are missing a plugin you can use the Missing Plugin Object Explorer in Tools | All Global Explorers.

If you know the maxscript class you can easily find the materials with a script
    select (for obj in geometry where classof obj.material == RaytraceMaterial collect obj)

But if you don't know the maxscript class name you can kinda guess at it.
    select (for obj in geometry where matchpattern ((classof obj.material) as string) pattern:"*raytrace*" ignoreCase:true collect obj)

Thank you, this might actually be usefull, ill try it.