Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] [Solved] Can't see object at a certain distance from the camera on the viewport

null

So, recently, I've been following a Maya course for beginners since I come from a XSI background and I came across this issue that can be best explained by the video down bellow. 

Mega Cloud ::
https://mega.nz/#!dQlyjZKL!l3urlL0ITv62H74a7YpiVwZh_0GcaEFO2oxcknhqjTo

Although this is happening on this specific file when I load the files provided by the online course everything looks normal. I'm sure I might've done something while I was following the lessons that might be the responsible for this behavior but I have absolutely no clue of what it is.
I'm using Maya 2017

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Leydriell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leydriell null
    Here's the gif version of the video. I've tried to change the "far clip plane" but it seems like it has nothing to do with that. 

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still inclined to think it's still the clipping plane, but that is a very specific pattern happening back there. Is there any special relationship between any camera/place3d/height projection/etc and your matte backdrop? If you move the camera further in, or look back from the backdrop what happens?
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    Adjust perspective camera near and far clipping plane parameters in attribute editor. The "pattern" is because clipping plane values are too far apart. Think it like what happens to gray scale gradient if the length of the gradient is longer than 256 px.

• Leydriell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leydriell null
    I'm still inclined to think it's still the clipping plane, but that is a very specific pattern happening back there. Is there any special relationship between any camera/place3d/height projection/etc and your matte backdrop? If you move the camera further in, or look back from the backdrop what happens?
    If I move the camera any closer, the NURB in the background that I use to apply an image (represented in the GIF in black) just disappears completely. I thought it might have something to do with the Hardware Fog but that's already toggled off.
  • Leydriell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leydriell null
    janoshx said:
    Adjust perspective camera near and far clipping plane parameters in attribute editor. The "pattern" is because clipping plane values are too far apart. Think it like what happens to gray scale gradient if the length of the gradient is longer than 256 px.

Okay guys so, I guess my problem is solved. I got back to the camera attribute editor and add a bunch of zeros. I had it changed before by changing the values but I guess I had to really crank those values up! Thanks a lot for the help guys! Much appreciated! :smile:
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    It might be worth note that in Maya all cameras have a real position in 3D space, even the orthographic TOP, SIDE and FRONT cameras.

Sometimes when your scene gets really bit or a glitch in focus command the position of orthographic cameras can go way way too far or stay inside geometry. In those situations you see similar kind of clipping you had earlier or you may experience it as "invisible geometry"

If you unhide your top,side and front cameras and select move gizmo you can see where the cameras actually are. They should "always" be further away than the face/surface of your outmost mesh/nurbs etc.

When clipping starts to happen in orthographic views unhide your top, side and front camera and move them with move qizmo further away from origin point. I have found that it is easiest to correct the position of top camera from front viewport. Front and side camera distance is easiest to correct from top viewport.
    Sometimes you also have to adjust their near and far clipping planes

Remember to hide your orthographic cameras after you have moved them