Home Technical Talk

A rigging question

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jman86 polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone. I hope all is well. I have a question that I hope someone can shed a little light on. I know this might sound dumb but I just need clarification on a few things. I'm rigging in Maya, and my mesh is broken down like it should with the removal of parts that will never be seen. I know that you would tend to rig the body first and then any additional things, but since the mesh is broken up the way it is, should I consider the body, suit, gloves, shin pieces, and shoes as the "body" and rig that together? And then after that, add or copy joints or paint weights to the accessories? 

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    I recommend to build a (kind of low rez) mesh for the whole body, on which you can paint weights comfortly. When you use this "Base skin" to copy the weights to the individual parts, you get identical weights on overlapping parts.
  • jman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    antweiler said:
    I recommend to build a (kind of low rez) mesh for the whole body, on which you can paint weights comfortly. When you use this "Base skin" to copy the weights to the individual parts, you get identical weights on overlapping parts.
    Okay, so if I"m understanding right, basically create a much lower res of the whole body, weight it and copy on to the game mesh version and tweak from there.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    It can be lower where you want the weights to be smooth on the target, but should carry the detail you need.