Home Technical Talk

Blurring/Discoloration on Models painted with Vertex Color in Unreal

aaronhiggins
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
aaronhiggins polycounter lvl 3
Working on student game, using Maya's vertex color painting to make assets quickly. Models look fine fine in Maya but become blurry or else weirdly triangulated in Unreal. Anyone have experience with this? 

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Try importing the normals.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    There's probably some automatic vertex merging going on here, either during Maya export or UE import.

The Maya screenshot suggests that you are splitting the model at the edges where materials meet, in order to apply colors per-part. That is of course a very valid way to go at it, but any vertex welding done after the fact would break this careful model preparation. Such merging would result in exactly the kind of things you are currently seeing in UE.
  • aaronhiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update; The mesh color seems to import fine when it is NOT bound to a skeleton. Reattaching the mesh to a skeleton the mesh causes the issue to reappear. 

pior said:
    There's probably some automatic vertex merging going on here, either during Maya export or UE import.

The Maya screenshot suggests that you are splitting the model at the edges where materials meet, in order to apply colors per-part. That is of course a very valid way to go at it, but any vertex welding done after the fact would break this careful model preparation. Such merging would result in exactly the kind of things you are currently seeing in UE.
    What kind of Import/Export settings would affect that?
    Obscura said:
    Try importing the normals.
    Forgive me if I'm completely misinterpreting you, but we're not using Normal maps. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Keep Overlapping Vertices, in the skeletal mesh import settings.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/ImportOptions/

As for normals : Normals and normalmaps are very different things. Ask your teacher about face and vertex normals and he/she should be able to explain the concept thoroughly.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter

Forgive me if I'm completely misinterpreting you, but we're not using Normal maps. 
    On the import dialogue, you can choose what to do with the vertex normals. You should set it to import them.
  • aaronhiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:

Keep Overlapping Vertices, in the skeletal mesh import settings.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/ImportOptions/

That's done it, thank you!