Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

backyard critique and advice

RNucci
vertex
Offline / Send Message
RNucci vertex
Hello my freaky darlings!

I have a scene I've been working on that I wanted to ask a few questions about and also get some fresh eyes on it for critique and advice. I wasn't sure if this belonged in the technical forums or here.

Before I post; a little about the scene. I'm trying to practice linear workflow as its been a difficult concept for me to grasp. So I have the scene set up for such but I'm using a mr_physical sun and sky which caused some problems for me. So let me post my latest render and I will go through my concerns.

So! First off, I set everything for linear workflow which included adding a gamma correct node to all my shaders. Great! then I created my physical sun and sky node, which immediately washed everything out again. Great! it took me awhile to figure that one out, but what I eventually did was just add another gamma correct node to each shader. While at the time, this seemed to do the trick, I almost feel like its making all my models look a little too vivid. I'm going for as photorealistic as I possibly can and I feel like I'm almost getting a cartoon style. I guess one thing I'd like to understand is that if the exposure node is upping the gamma again, is it adding 2.2 to 2.2 or is it multiplying it? If anyone has run into this particular problem before and has any other solutions or comments, I'm all ears.

Related to the above problem, I'm having trouble getting a realistic metal material. The example below shows that the green circled "chimney/vent/weathervane" should be a bronzish material, but something about adding a couple gamma correct nodes to my reflection color seems to be canceling out my reflections, making the metal look very dull and flat.

I've tried tweaking the color and the gamma values but havent hit on any solutions yet.

Lastly, while I'm fairly happy with the mia_material I'm using for the siding, the red circled area in the image below isn't looking great. It almost looks as if the lighting is canceling out the bump somehow. Could it be angle of view is too wide, emphasizing the natural drawback of bump mapping? I suppose I could try displacement mapping if need be. 

Any advice anyone has on these specified problems would be great! Also, if anyone wants to point out anything else that might need some work, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your time guys.