Home Technical Talk

Silhouette and Polygon count

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
As posted previously I am learning head modeling (not sculpting yet) and try to keep my polycount budget very low (<1K) to test my own understanding of topology.

One issue I battling with is how to maintain proper silhouette, as it's lowpoly, I have the urge to add more edge loops to smooth things out. And I read this line on wiki:

Silhouette
Polygons define the shape of the model, don't waste polys where they don't add to the silhouette, depending on the requirements of the other priniciples.

So, my question:

- When you feel the silhouette need more smoothing, is it a good time to add an edge loop?

- More generally, does "good s
ilhouette" only refer to the general shape of model looking from different angles? 

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

Yes, it's how the forms read in terms of design, like readability and appeal. This is often judged with a flat shader and at varying distances, hence the term.

Also, the angled/faceted look on lower poly meshes. So instead of adding loops automatically, you can space edgeloops evenly. This is something you need to weigh up and decide. If you've set yourself a triangle budget then it's good practice to try and stick with it and use the geo you have before adding more.