Home Technical Talk

CAD > mobile optimization workflow issue!

Hey guys!  Sorry if this is something that gets asked a lot!  I couldn't find anything, though, so asking here.

The problem:  My studio is getting into development for web and mobile platforms, and our clients give us incredibly high-density models.  I've been doing some R&D for a few days now as to the best methods for optimizing these huge files.

Currently, our approach is to start with a combination of various tools like Pro-E for straight up CAD optimization.  We then take it into Max and use pro-optimize or Softimage for Reduce Polygons; however, as I'm sure as most of you know, these models aren't very clean, and this can blow up normals!  We've also tried using various methods in Zbrush, including Decimation Master, Q-Remesher, etc.

A lot of these meshes are machine parts, full of intricate bits, holes, important chips and screws, etc.  We're aware that manual retopo might be required, but by the sheer number of files we need to optimize on a hard deadline, this isn't exactly ideal.

The questions:  Does anyone have a good method for optimizing CAD, while retaining halfway decent normals and geo?  If we have to move to manual re-building, what is the best tool out there for speedy re-topo?  (We're currently looking at Topogun.)

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thats a tricky one when i comes to fine details as any of the automated processes out there (at least what i've tried) will most likely have a hard time preserving the detail where you need it. 

So if normal baking is where you're headed with these meshes, my advice would be to see how far automated decimation + source material baking will take you. I've worked with quite a few absolutely terrible source meshes that can still be salvaged with a good bake and some manual refinement to the decimation output.

Even if your decimated mesh looks looks like garbage and the normals are all over the place, a good uv layout, some cleanup and a solid bake can really turn it around, because after all it's the endpoint visual that matters. 

If anyone else has some details on better automation results i'd love to know more about it myself though!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    We had a process for this that wasn't fun but gave good results.

1. Import High Poly parted mesh into 3dCoat and voxelize to one object.
    2. Use the Fill and Smooth brushes to close gaps, remove surface noise, and soften hard corners. (This is the important step that helps the auto retopo tools.)
    3. Export to temp mesh.
    4. Use temp mesh in MeshLab or zBrush to decimate to target polycount, and export the low poly
    5. Unwrap the low poly and project textures from the original high poly.

It's far from an automated pipeline. And step 2 can take a long time, but you end up generating pretty clean low polys.