Home Technical Talk

Seamless texturing large terrain with next gen detail? Any tips?

purehilarity
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
Hey Guys,

I am currently creating a VR environment in Unity that needs to be as realistic as I can achieve. 

The environment is an open field, so there aren't many opportunities to disguise the seams. I first attempted to use the terrain in Unity, but it's really lacking, doesn't have roughness maps, displacement, ao, etc etc. So I've modeled a terrain i Maya/Zbrush. 

I'm stuck on how to make the textures look really good at the viewer's feet, when you look at the floor, and also good at a really far distance, as the field stretches out to the mountains.

I had a couple ideas, one to use a 4k map for around the feet. Then another 4k map around that, in squares , but I am worried that will lead to a visible seem where the resolution drops off.

Next approach I was considering is tiling with a splat map, but I've seen this not look too amazing. I'd have to tile the map about 2000 times or so to get the detail to stretch into the horizon, and I'm wondering if I can make that look good.

Another thought was just to have lots of 4k maps and have the UV been on different UV sets, about 10 or so.

How do you guys go about achieving a tiling map that looks varried and unique while still having "photoreal" details at the foot of the viewer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies