Home Technical Talk

A lot of problems regarding normal maps.

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
helo guys
So today i modeled a quick axe to practice uv mapping and baking normals in sd.
Here is the low poly uv layout

i baked normals in sd , but they came out really distorted skewed (whatever u guys call it). I don't know why.

here is the lowpoly model

I really need some help. This is freaking me out. I am not using cage and i always uncheck the average normals options.
thanks

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Ok, a couple things:
    -post a picture of the normal map applied to the mesh. Looks can be deceiving when it comes to normal maps as distortions on the map could be correcting aspects of your target mesh's normals, so seeing it applied to the surface is a big help for narrowing down possible issues.
    -The uv layout you posted seems to have an unusual aspect ratio. I'm not sure if the forum is reformatting that but i'm seeing a resolution of 640x480 so you'l want to ensure that you're working in multiples of two. ex: 1024x1024, 1024x2048, 512x1024 etc...
    -You've got a few very tight edges in the arches that lead to the center cylinder that wouldn't lend themselves to a clean bake (most likely not causing distortion issues, but would potentially cause undesirable output)
    -It looks like a bunch of faces in your uv map have very little uv space so you'l most likely loose any detail being projected upon them
    -be sure to delete the history (or whatever the 3dsmax equivalent is) on your exported meshes and triangulate your target mesh