Home Technical Talk

[Maya] How to rig for complex polygon movement? (SOLVED)

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
This is a simple problem and I'm hoping someone here has a simple solution. I've been rigging something, and in the below image I've isolated a single eye from the model along with the nurbs controls.

Right now the only thing I can do from here is manipulate the Scale Y value from the slider. Here's what it looks like if I do that:

I want to get a sort of "angry eye" expression, and I'm wondering how I might be able to rig for this. I can achieve the look I want by selecting these faces...

...and then moving them a little bit down with soft-select on, so that it looks something like this:

How can I set up a rigging that allows me to do this? Preferably so that I might be able to achieve a range of values between the first expression and the last. 

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    The simplest to do is to using blendshapes for the eye expressions. Or add a bone inside the eyeball for the deformation. If its for games there are no other opitons.
  • Turbopasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
    antweiler said:
    The simplest to do is to using blendshapes for the eye expressions. Or add a bone inside the eyeball for the deformation. If its for games there are no other opitons.
    Awesome, I can't believe I've heard the phrase blendshapes so many times but never thought to actually learn how to use them. Thanks for the help.