Home Technical Talk

How to rig thick cloth ?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Elzean polycounter lvl 3
I have the following models:

And i rigged the low poly of the robe:

But i cannot keep the thickness even during animation, and worse the back faces pass throw the front during animations:

I tried many things for a few hours, transfert weight from a flat version of the rob, separating inside and outside, etc.... whatever i could find on internet i tried :/
This is to export to Unity later, so a few solutions i saw were not possibles.

Is there any way i could fix this ?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Copying the weights from a single-sided proxy should work. If it's not working, you'll need to tweak some of the copy weights settings.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Did you turn off backface culling? Do you still see the problem? Backface won't render in Unity.

Also, unless your game is about sexy wolfman upskirts then I would just cap the robe.

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    monster said:
    Did you turn off backface culling? Do you still see the problem? Backface won't render in Unity.

Also, unless your game is about sexy wolfman upskirts then I would just cap the robe.
    Yes it will be not too visible in unity, you could still see the interior faces sticking out in some angles.  For the dress I will probably close it like you suggest , but i have other layers of cloth (like on the first pic),  that i would like to keep separated,  and type of cloth that can't be closed like this and its kind of the same issue.

I tried again with a proxy flat dress, i shrink it a bit so it was kind of in the middle of the original dress. Didnt work completly fine, then i pick all interior and you the "Level" tool to reduce the weight of interior faces. This fixed most issues, i also used a "smooth" on the entire dress and it seemed fine then. 
    For the second layer of clothing, just using the proxy seems fine for moment.

Overall its still doesn't keep the thickness sadly and i don't see how i can fixe that, it's almost impossible to fine tune all the vertex to keep a consistant thickness :/

Thanks for the help guys!