Home Technical Talk

Is correct this workflow?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
Hi 
I want to create a workflow with this software in pipeline. 

I think about this steps (need to create a characters asset turntable)

1. In ZBRUSH sculpt HIGH POLY mesh with dinamesh and save it all single subtool as OBJ_HIGHPOLY
2. In ZBRUSH create the low poly mesh so: DUPLICATE all subtool highpoly ---->GIVE CLAY MATERIAL---> DECIMATE---> RETOPOLOGY--->UNWRAP --->EXPORT OBJ_LOWPOLY
now i have the highpoly and low objects! 

3. In SuBSTANCE PAINTER import LOW POLY MESH and BAKE with corrispondent HIGHPOLY
4. Work the textures and materials, EXPORT the texture set
5. in MARMOSET import low poly objects, load the textures, and make the rendering.

Is the right workflow? Or exist some fastest? Very thank you for your help 

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "now i have the highpoly and low objects!"

The lowpoly models you will obtain with that method will be only acceptable for assets of very low visual importance, or prototype models done quickly. For portfolio/production quality models (that is to say : models that can get you hired as a modeler at a game studio) you will have to learn proper (= manual) retopology techniques and do proper (= manual) UVs. The fantasy of models automagically making themselves is just a fantasy and has almost zero relevance to actual production work.

Also : using dynamesh has of course of lot of merits for organic sculpting, but there are still many cases when building a highpoly the traditional way can be a great timesaver - because the lvl0 can then also be used as a base for the final lowpoly. I personally favor the approach consisting of doing a very rough sculpt first and then rebuilding it using regular subdivision-based modeling. It gives flawless surface qualities to the high, and as said it also provides a great base for the low.

So in short : even though the approach you are outlining has some merits, it will be very slow and will likely be very frustrating. However there is a lot of value in trying all kinds of approaches, and the best way to see that something could be done better is to just try it in the first place :) So in short : try it ! And good luck.
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your answer, Pior.
    I tried it, the risult is not very good. The operation work fine, but the UV generated from ZBrush in not so good. 
    We might as well get the commitment and make a decent low poly mesh with a decent UV.

I hate retopo operations, but you are a professional and a very good artist, if you tell me that this is better, there is little to talk i trust you.

so now the right workflow is 

1) Normal sculpting with levels the mesh. 
    2) export the high poly 
    3)  Make a normal retopo (i use blender for modeling) 
    4) put all in Substance painter 
    without any baking operations. 
    edit:: or maybe I can do a bake dectail from lvl 5 (for example)  on lvl 0 ? for have a lowpoly with more dectail, so i can retopo better.

is right? 
    ty

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    I think about your post. 
    I realize that not matter what workflow use, or new instruments but is important forever and ever :D in all work
     to have  1 low poly model , with simple and correct topology, and  a SOLID unwrap UV.
    Started for here, you can create a high poly model on this, also with "traditional" poly moleding, and a correct UV.
    But if you have the right low poly of your mesh, you have the the foundations to have always a correct topology, and a correct uv.

And if you have this 2 things, the work well be always clean, sample, and without problem.

so I RESTART all my wip, with this awareness.

Simple, clean low poly, and a simple unwrap (is not the best ever seen but is a start) 

From now will work as well,  whatever model or should do.
    Low poly, uv, ---> high poly and baking. nothing else.
    ty