Home Technical Talk

How would you guy's go about animating a tree rig with bones?

pixelquaternion
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone,

I have a low poly tree for game(pine tree) and the rig is done with a bone for each foliage card representing a branch, so i was wondering about what would be the best way to animate it to give it a natural light wind to make it sway gently?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    In games, trees or any sort of vegation is almost always, if not always weighted with vertex colors and animated with vertex shader, and no bones. I know this doesn't help much, but maybe you should ask your client - if its for a client. Bones would be a way only in some very specific cases, maybe where you can break the tree or something, but even then, there are better approaches.

For a tree character, yes bones, but based on what you wrote in your post, this isn't the case.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Obscura said:
    In games, trees or any sort of vegation is almost always, if not always weighted with vertex colors and animated with vertex shader, and no bones. I know this doesn't help much, but maybe you should ask your client - if its for a client. Bones would be a way only in some very specific cases, maybe where you can break the tree or something, but even then, there are better approaches.

For a tree character, yes bones, but based on what you wrote in your post, this isn't the case.
    Hi Obscura and thank for the reply, this is not for a client it is for my brother since he want to mod skyrim and change the pine tree so i told him i was going to help him and the information i found out mention that only bones animations are supported in the game engine.