Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PBR Shader Study

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi! This is my first post here in the 3d section, I am sorry if there is a main thread going on, I tried global search, and forum search but only found individual postings. So here I go, my attempts with creating a library of pbr über shaders with blender/cycles.

SSS Skin Shader (model is that scanned head you can find online)
Trying to achieve realistic result, there's two SSS shaders, with a diffuse override shader for faster preview renders.
A fresnel effect on top of that.

Glass shader, a combination of refraction and reflection. With an volume absorption option for colored glass. Also fresnel. A pretty simple material that has better use for me than the built in glass shader. 

I will try and make a crystal glass shader one of these days.

Wooden floor, this is achieved with my basic über shader, with fresnel effect, and it has also a metallic input either a value, or b/w texture.

My next shader will probably be a über plastic shader, one where you can do rubber with SSS and also without for faster renders. I did some dabbling with it to try and achieve the effect of a thin plastic cup. Will continue that whenever I have time.

Basic
Glass 
Skin

Where ever applicable I use "Base Color" which is pretty much Albedo, but I rather call it Color.
F0 are facing with a 0 deg to camera or view point, I choose to call it Reflection, while F1 are the faces with a 1 radian or a facing angle planar to the viewing point, Fresnel effect.

I have inverted the roughness and calls it smoothness instead, because that way if I plug in a texture to the socket, black is rough and white is smooth. I found that a better workflow for me when painting smoothness textures.

In the skin shader, Base weight is the diffuse override from the SSS shaders. This shader is mostly done by reading forum posts about skin shaders, and for now I am happy with it but might read up more and re-do the whole shader later.