Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flower field feedback

geroppo
null
Offline / Send Message
geroppo null
Hi, I'm a graphics programmer and I wanted to ask for some feedback for this flower field. It's not nearly half as good as the things posted here but I wanted to give it a try. The flowers are moving with the wind, and while I wanted to ask for feedback about the visual aspects, I recorded a video so you can see it (https://youtu.be/rZUbX3M_I4M).

I don't have any kind of background or knowledge about art (but I like pretty graphics and math :P)  so it was quite difficult to compose the scene . My goal was to create a scene with all the lighting techniques and shading tricks that I've acquired over the years. It's not using physically based lighting since I'm still not comfortable with it, but I did my best.

All the shaders were made by me from scrach ( and while I used unity, I didn't use any of the tools or pre-made shaders that they give me) so I can "measure" myself and see how far I can get.

The flower field is still work in progress but I feel like it's 'ok' enough to ask for feedback.

My current problem right now is that I feel like the flowers far away are not "low frequency" enough, so when moving they look kinda bad. Currently I'm using only one LOD for the mesh of the flowers, and it's difficult to simplify it a bit more while maintaining the shape at far away.
Also, I wanted to add more color variation on the flowers but didn't know exactly what kind of variation. For now I just made them darker based on world space perlin noise.
Also, the flower textures were made by me using Paint .NET since it's the only thing I can use with a certain degree of skillfulness, so bear with me :P

Any kind of feedback is appreciated, and below I leave my reference images/source of inspiration.

Cheers!