Home Technical Talk

Why does ZBrush triangulate the poles of primitive shapes?

Okay so I spent about 45 minutes looking all over Google to try and solve this problem that I'm having. I'm primarily a 3DS Max user, have been for many years, so I wanted a change and to try my hand a creating things in ZBrush. However ZBRush 4R7 seems to cap its shapes with triangles and not quads.

For me this isn't a matter of wanting to work with quads because I understand the value and benefits of that. It's more the fact that every tutorial I follow seems to use a previous version of the software and, for them, the objects they place down are already capped with quads so when I get to the point where I need to subdivide it their's always looks different. For the cube I've been using the "reconstruct subdiv" on a Polysphere method but this seems a bit of a silly thing to have to do and it doesn't help me in regards to cylinders. I thought about creating the primitive shapes in 3DS and importing them but then one can't manipulate the parameters as freely.

As I said I'm sorry that I'm asking and it's probably an easily resolved problem. I tend to use forums as a last resort because I try to work things out for myself but this one has me stumped.

Kind regards =)

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dunno exactly where this is a disadvantage for you. The fact that ZB respects tris is really useful for me. If you want to reconstruct a sub divide from an imported mesh just make sure it is a quad mesh from the start.
  • CaptainGoeby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    I dunno exactly where this is a disadvantage for you. The fact that ZB respects tris is really useful for me. If you want to reconstruct a sub divide from an imported mesh just make sure it is a quad mesh from the start.
    Thanks for your reply.

However I spent a little time in Zbrush and figured that if I simply added supporting loops on the caps then it yields the desired result :)