Home Technical Talk

Any Problems to Be Aware of?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

If I do my rig first before UV Unwrap will any problems come up?

I would like to know before I start this workflow

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    You should be fine, make sure that is your final topology because it becomes harder to change it after the fact, (at least not without redo-ing some skinning data and transferring which is totally worth learning anyway).
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a general rule, rigs are created totally separate from character models, and partly to avoid any issues like that. You're free to edit the rig or geometry at any time and put them back together.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Scruples : this is a confusion between rigging and skin weighting. Rigging (= building a control rig) is completely independent from the skin weighting of the actual geometry/topology. But then again there's no way to precisely know what the OP actually meant, so that's anyone's guess really :)

Regardless - creating some some basic skin weighting as early as possible is extremely useful anyways, even as early as the blockout step. Transferring skin weights is indeed trivial and being able to check deformations every step of the way is imho crucial in the creation of good character models.

One could even argue that building a basic skeleton armature should come first and foremost, before any modeling or sculpting. It really helps !
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gene098 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys thanks for the replies

Here is my current workflow
    1)Get final topology overall
    2)Rig eyelids to see if have enough edge loops to close properly if not, using quad draw, add edge loops
    3)Make a simple rig for the mouth as well to see if enough edge loops if not, using quad draw, add edge loops
    4)Uv unwrap