Home Technical Talk

Character Unwrapping help - Minotaur

null
Offline / Send Message
m1ck3y_t null
Hi everyone,

There may be better methods of what I've done or trying to do, so if you know of any other methods please tell me.

i created a Minotaur character using a base mesh made in 3Ds Max and then sculpted in Zbrush (Yes i know i could of just modelled straight in Zbrush but i wasnt confident in Zbrush at this time, and also planned on using mudbox if needed to)

My modelling went fine and created the Minotaur as i wanted. I then used ZRemesher to lower the polycount to 9k which i believe is acceptable polycount for a character (Tbh i've heard AAA games are now using 100k but under 10k seemed about right to me)

I then took the low poly mesh back into 3Ds Max and unwrapped the mesh. My problem with unwrapping is mainly the head, on my character the protruding nasal and mouth area means i cant unwrap the model as I've seen many humanoid characters unwrapped.

I decided to unwrap the head in segments, Top Jaw, Bottom Jaw, Front Face, Rear Head and finally horns. This seemed okay but isn't a fantastically readable on a UV layout.

What i'd like to know is there a Unwrap/Baking option within Zbrush and is there a better way to unwrap the head. 
I'm sure there will be and if you can explain to me how to do it or link me to a good tuturial you know i'd be very greatfull.

P.S - I know the character isn't the best sculpted thing and im sure il be going back to sculpting adding more details, Just remember its my first time really using Zbrush and my first time creating a character. I normally keep to environments and props :)