Home Technical Talk

Blender Hologram Wire frame fade?

Dylaninc
null
Offline / Send Message
Dylaninc null
Hello, does anyone know how i can fade the wire frame so that from whatever angle i look at the cello, the edges will always appear brighter than the middle.

This is my model so far and as you can see the wire frame is a solid brightness throughout.
And this is what i am after... 
In the spheres you can see how on the edges it is a lot brighter than the center of the hologram.
This is my current node chain for the material...

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Start fresh and try working towards an extreme version of the effect you're after, and then tweak it back.
    By that I mean punch a transparent hole through the object with the Layer Weight and the ColorRamp nodes, because if you can't even do that then you know the nodes are wrong.

- When mapping a scalar value with the ColorRamp node like you are doing, use alpha in the gradient stops and use the Alpha output from the ColorRamp node as the mix factor. It's a scalar value, unlike the Colour output (which is converted to black-and-white when plugged to a scalar input and will look slightly different from the gradient being shown).

- Try combining the Layer Weight and the Wireframe outputs (since both produce a single scalar value) instead of plugging them into two Mix nodes:
    Layer Weight & Wireframe outputs -> Math node (with 'add' operation) -> Mix shader (between transparent and the emission colour).

Using a single mix shader like this should be slightly faster, and if it looks the same...
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    you basically answered your own question, you want brighter (stronger) light at the edges. multiply your color ramp and plug it in the strength of your emission.
    upper mix material is not needed as mentioned, transparent and emission should be enough.
    you could plug another colorramp in the color of your emission as well.