Home Career & Education

CG Spectrum opinion?

Zerghy
null
Offline / Send Message
Zerghy null
Hello ,
i recently finish a quick 4 mounth introduction to 3D course ! i would love to go in depth about game art ! unfortunally im unable to travel so online course are my only option! i found CG Spectrum "foundation for film and game art" ! does anyone have opinion about this class? is there other online class you can raccomend?
thank you!

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I can't offer any advice on this particular 3d course, but I can reccomend soaking up as many http://eat3d.com/  and http://3dmotive.com/ that interest you in any way. I've not done any online courses, but if you are eager to learn, those tutorials a great bang for your buck.
  • StephenC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenC vertex
    Hi Zerghy!
    First off, congrats on deciding to further your education
    secondly, I understand your financial predicament and the decision to study in an online capacity is a smart one - as long as you're prepared to put in the work.

I have studied with CG Spectrum for one year and can safely say that this was the most effective tuition I have received.  Prior to studying with CG Spectrum I had completed a course with a well known Australian company and was promised results in terms of both industry worthy tuition and employability.  Sadly this was not the case and as a result I was unable to find a job within the industry.

So, this leads me to finding CG Spectrum. As you know, CG Spectrum works on an online platform which for someone with dedication can be extremely useful.  CG Spectrum only employs industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge as tutors to ensure their students are receiving relevant industry tuition.  The bottom line is that they know what will get someone hired and will push their students in whichever direction necessary to gain employment.

CG Spectrum also has an online forum, similar to this one where all students can discuss a variety of topics and share information freely.  

Ultimately it's up to you how much effort you put in, but if you're serious enough about this industry, I have every confidence in your success with CG Spectrum's unbeatable (and unique) methods of teaching.

After studying with CG Spectrum for only 1 year, I have been fortunate enough to land a number of contract gigs and I am currently working at a leading vfx studio in Australia.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Stephen

• PhoenixG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! First, I'm a prideful "teach yourself everything" person. I learned a Slavic language and mastery of a few softwares over the years completely on my own. I don't take spending money on online classes lightly if I can just youtube my way through it.

I wanted to add my input for anyone also googling CG Spectrum. I'm currently a student there for 3D animation and my mentor just blows me away. The instructors really know what it's like to be a beginner and the courses (at least as far as animation goes, haven't taken any others) really push getting comfortable with the software while not being overwhelming. It makes it easier to be a beginner, as you get the right information instead of digging around and just 'picking it up as you go.' I can't express how much my mentor has helped me when I'm struggling. He's even gone out of his way to provide material specific to what I am having problems with (for example, constraining objects to a character in motion) and has done it live on camera using my files. Twice, patiently.

The result was I was able to not only get my characters to manipulate objects in their hands smoothly (glasses, swords, throwing things), I also understood how the process works so I am able to use it fluidly in my own personal projects. And this was on week 2!!! Even though I began as a beginner to animation, because I WANTED to know, he helped me anyway. Ask! They really care for you and your progress, not just the assignment at hand. You are guided on the track, one solid fundamental at a time, but if you have a great desire or urge and make strides to teach yourself, there is someone to ask why it isn't working and show you how to do it more easily. That frustration you're used to feeling while teaching yourself will be gone.

Me, an unbelievably hard worker and hard studier, couldn't have made so much progress so fast without my education at CG Spectrum. I've taken courses elsewhere, they structure their course extremely well and I can vouch you are going to learn a few things you can't get from Lynda or Udemy or Youtube videos. You can't ask youtube videos how to get through challenges working on feature films, or what it's like the first time on a job. Or what's wrong with your demo reel, what should be on it.

Good luck; listen to others, but follow your intuition!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @PhoenixG
    Pretty sure without a portfolio link, this review should be suspect.  He literally just joined today.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    I'm currently in year 1 with CG Spectrum. It's great! My mentor is really helping me out and giving great feedback.
    The online set up is really easy. Nothing complicated. If you're dedicated you will make a lot of progress.
    What I value most is that they really dive into your individual wishes and goals. They won't make you learn character modeling if you don't want to. They will keep pushing you in the direction that you want.
  • Shaktos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    I'm very interested in CGspectrum but how affordable is it ? Can a student or a former student inform me on the price ? Basically I'm not a beginner but i'm not a professionnal either. I finished school and kept learning on my own but I now find myself stuck and I thought the best way to improve now is to find a mentor. I can't find anything regarding the price of anything. Any idea how costly it would be for like 1 month private mentoring ? if it is possible at all to get 1 or 2 months only