Home Career & Education

CGMA 3D courses worth it?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Shylock polycounter lvl 2
Im a sophomore in college (Studying graphics design because that's all they offer in terms of computer related art), and I was wanting to start getting some formal base education about 3D environment art.

Since I'm already use to the structured class setting, I was wanting to begin the 3D environment art program at CMGA. I'm aware that taking some classes won't make me a master in anything, but I want to get a good base knowledge of my tools and the processes, so that when I finish the course, I can begin to hone my skills and eventually make a portfolio.
So I thought the gradual program and structured courses taught there by professionals would be my best option.

I'm only concerned about if those who took some courses there (it doesn't have to be specifically the ones i'm talking about) and if you thought it was worth the cost of the course. I'm not too concerned about the price since the whole program is worth a semester at the school I'm attending now, I just want to know if it's worth the money, and if not, I will look into other sources of education. 

By the way, I'm not saying I need the class structure to get me to actually work, I've just always had strong progression when done that way.

I would much rather spend the money on a class taught by someone who has the experience in the industry, than taking the special topics 3D printing class taught by a professor with a MFA in Painting.. :neutral:

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I did the Marvelous Designer course with John Gotch and had the Hair Creation for Games booked, though this one got ditched since Frank Tzenk couldn't do it in the end, but the thing that I want to mention why I think CGMA is worthwhile seems to apply to all courses:
    1. you get your lecture video each week
    2. you get a personalized feedback video for your weeks assignment
    3. you get a Q&A session each week to go through questions about last weeks assignment

All 3 are recorded and can be watched at any time up to 1 month after class. Compared to Gnomon's only live session this is a huge improvement, especially for us in Europe. Also worth taking a look are the Game Art Institute classes. They tend to have class forums and an effort to establish a small community of students to encourage feedback groups after classes. Only downside the are only a couple of courses as far as I know depending on what industry artist has time to do it.
  • Shylock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shylock polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the insight. I'm probably going to take the CGMA courses then. I just wanted make sure the classes weren't total crap! haha

Ive always wanted to take classes at Gnomon but they aren't available to people in the states that don't live in Cali, so i'm glad the CGMA courses are a better deal, for the most part.