Home Technical Talk

2 lowbie questions about 3d modeling.

Hey guys, i started a week ago learn 3d, i already know that ngons are bad, and you have to use quads. So i saw sometimes mesh from other artist, and i see this happening a lot.

1. How do they do that, is just combine objects or is made by using booleans like in maya?
2. Would that work fine in a game, wouldn't messe with texture or something? 

That's it, thanks!

Replies

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    it's a separeted piece. You don't have to make everything in one model.
    And yes, it's fine for a game.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly, everything you learned was wrong! Whoever told you this was either dumbing down the message to the point of irrelevance, or just straight up wrong from the start.

Ngons can be bad, but they're also an essential part of modeling.
    Quads can be great, but it's madness to refuse to use tris.

As for the image: much of that is just separate objects.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Sadly, everything you learned was wrong! Whoever told you this was either dumbing down the message to the point of irrelevance, or just straight up wrong from the start.

Ngons can be bad, but they're also an essential part of modeling.
    Quads can be great, but it's madness to refuse to use tris.

As for the image: much of that is just separate objects.
    im a begginer too, and in most of the tutorials that i see people say to avoid ngons, can you tell me or show one example of where ngons would be fine?
  • DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    @dchani

When you export your models for a game engine, your mesh is triangluated, so you won't have any Ngons in game. Ngons are helpful when modeling though.

Here's an example of when I use Ngons. If I want to add a bevel and/or edge loops, to a booleaned hole, I usually start with something like this. 

Selecting the edge loop and beveling produces nice clean topology.

This is what happens if I were to bevel with a triangulated/quad mesh. The topology is a mess and can be a pain to clean up.

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator

@DRoss3d

Gosh, that's helps me a lot, i though that i had to make everything in quads or tris, to export to a game engine and be converted to tris. 

Thank you!

• DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    @dchani  No problem, you should always triangulate you mesh when you export from your modeling package. Depending on your software, you can enable/disable this in your .fbx settings. For some reason Modo doesn't have this option so you'd have to use the triangulate button before exporting. 

Here's what it looks like in Maya and 3ds Max

• CrimDa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimDa vertex
    From my own experience, you also want to make sure that the package your exporting to will support geometry like nGons. For example, in a package that I use, Ngons will disappear completely because the software doesn't know how to deal with them. So I can't use Ngons in any of my models.  Sometimes finding out if the software can/can't use something isn't worth the hassle so sticking with old trusty quads tends to be the go-to.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DRoss3d beat me to it, but yes: it can be very helpful when modeling (and selecting). It's aggravating how often this terrible advice gets given to beginners and students.

@CrimDa The amount of software that doesn't support Ngons has to be pretty minimal at this point, right? I mean, unless you model in Wings3D. And as Dross3d already mentioned, when exporting for baking or to the engine, you'd triangulate anyway.
  • CrimDa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimDa vertex
    I can't go as far as to name names of the software I use, but I was referencing internal programs that I have to export the final product to. It's not a huge concern... Just something to keep in mind. But, as mentioned, triangulating could resolve those issues up front.