Home Technical Talk

Skinning problems in Maya

vertex
Offline / Send Message
miriamylam vertex
Typing this in extreme desperation. I'm trying to rig and skin a character in Maya. However I'm running into problems that are causing me to lose hours of work.

The problem is mainly while I'm painting weights. I'll run into sections where I realise I need to add an extra edge loop for better deformation, so I unbind the skin while keeping history, alter the mesh slightly, and rebind. When I do this however my weight maps get completely destroyed. And I can't undo to get my old maps back (even if I undo up to the step before I unbound the skin, the maps are still distorted). All weight information on them is lost.

I've also tried to export maps and reimport them after binding skin one more, with the same results.
I've seen someone unbinding skin and rebinding to make alterations to the mesh without problems. So what gives?

Picture above is the destroyed weight map for the shoulder influence after rebinding skin.

Any help highly appreciated.

Edit: I think I figured it out. When I rebound rig to skin, I accidentally used a different algorithm than the one I used originally (geodesic).