Home Technical Talk

Vertex paint modifier in max is blending colors.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
snowen20 polycounter lvl 8
Hi, I have looked around on this site for this problem and haven't exactly found what I was looking for to solve it.

Here is my problem:
I am trying to follow  a tutorial titled "petrol pump game asset" and the guy shows how he used vertex painting in 3ds max, so he can assign materials while in substance painter; however this isn't working for me the same way it is working for  him and I'm following everything as closely as I can.

In his fbx mesh, all his colors are completely solid, there is no gradation or shading involved.
When I attempt to use vertex painting following the same steps my colors are not solid at all and blend into the surrounding colors and in some cases not coloring a face at all; like it simply skipped over a face. 

Below I have attached two image examples in order to better explaining my problem.

First image is the gas pump from the tutorial I'm watching.
He has solid colors.

The second image is a low poly rifle, I used the same procedure used in the tutorial and as you can see the effects are pretty weird.
Both are editable meshes now as I assumed that would somehow help solidify the colors (FACEPALM)...

I tried it as editable poly as well and the same results occurred.

Does this matter, will it effect my asset in substance painter?
Maybe I'm just a neat freak and want it to look clean as the top image idk, but its driving me nuts.
I would really appreciate any information that can  be given to solve this problem.

I'm using max 2014, the settings appeared to be exactly the tutorial though the tutorial is using max 2016.
I don't think it is my graphics hardware, I mean possible I guess, I have pretty high end machine so I'm not sure how.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you select by Polygon or by Element, you can paint in solid colors.

The way this works internally, is the vertices along the edges between polygons get multiple colors per vertex, which ends up looking like a hard edge.
  • snowen20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snowen20 polycounter lvl 8
    Eric Chadwick, I am glad to see you are the one to come to my aid, I saw you in a few other posts about vertex painting and it solved their issues.
    You have just solved mine as well for the  most part. 
    Selecting by element does indeed make it solid as I needed, selecting by polygon does not unfortunately, unless I'm doing something wrong.
    The only reason Im attempting to select by polygon (faces) is so that I can be more selective in substance painter about where I place materials.
    That being said I can see that having the model broken up more will help with that from now on and since Im currently attempting to place low poly meshes into substance painter that problem will probably continue I think. Im essentially using the tools all wrong. lol

Substance painter doesn't really seem well suited for low poly things.

I really appreciate your help, and Im glad it was you that came to my rescue. Thanks man!!! 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have Substance Painter questions, I suggest making a thread in the Allegorithmic section. They're pretty good about answering Qs in there. Good luck!