Home Technical Talk

Switching from Max to Modo - Tips?

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    x-ray is just your mesh with transparency, right? That's what overlay drawing is, when you have a backdrop item visible. But like I said I just use wireframe view rather than that. If you aren't already aware the ctrl + (~, spacebar, tab, 1, 2, 3, etc..) keys contain pie menus for a lot of common actions, like switching wireframe, camera angle, ui layout), so you'll be using them a lot. And the alt+ (w,a,e...) shortcuts for action centers are worth learning early too.

As for the the plane, not sure what you did to see that, it reminds me of a drawing option you can add to locators, but I'm not sure. Try toggling locators off (ctrl+1 pie menu > toggle locators) and see what happens, or just look around in the backdrop item's properties. Could also try right click > Lock/Unlock on the backdrop item.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah im familiar with ctrl +1 and ctrl+space for the viewports. Thanks for the rest :) Will give them a try, its super fast and cool.
    And now i also found a typical situation where i would like to move this vertices apart , or scale them apart, on the edge without to deform the shape:

Edge Constraint would be awesome in this case.

Edit: ctrl + 2 helped a lot. Thanks dude.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    not sure exactly what you're wanting to do from the pic but it's a safe bet alt+z is the answer (action center > element). With symmetry on. The workplane can also be applicable in cases like this, if you haven't looked in that yet.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    lmao, sorry wrong picture:

i would like to move/scale this vertices apart constraint on the edge next to them ( left and right)

Edit:

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah so symmetry, element action center, select target edge, move.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks will give it a try!
    You´re the best, haha, you helped me so much.
    Also the other guys in this thread helped me a lot!

My respect Misters! ;)
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    There's a Seneca script that does select by angle functionality. The scripts name is lazy select.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Igi.
    Why i have to confirm everything with my space bar?
    It happens often that i select for a example another vertex, without to "confirm" with the spacebar the last action, for example a move or rotate, or seomthing else and that leads to a total confusion...
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I don't quite get your problem but I think activating 'Select Trough' on the top bar might help.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I mean that everything i do in Modo has to be Confirmed with the Spacebar.
    Like i select some vertices....move them....and after the move i have to press the SpaceBar first. Im pretty sure this can be turned off. It disturbs a bit ^^

Good example for Edge Contraint: How to align this support loop? I can choose element for one edge/angle, but here we have multiple angles and this would not work :(

In Max its pretty simple: Edge Constraint On, Slide the Loop to the left side, until the loop gets the shape of the left border, move it to the right. finish. I could slide it to the left, but not back to the right :/
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    are select trough did the trick for you about spacebar confirmation? When select trough mode is activated, you can select other elements without dropping rotate,transform or whatever tool.

answer to your newest quesion is easy. Use slide tool under edge tab. There's two modes. Linear and Radial. One of them works better in some cases. You can slide vertices by same slide tool too. There's also preserve curvature option, when checked modo will slide selected elements while triying to preserve your meshes surface curvature.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Igi, but the problem is:
    Can i tell slide to keep the shape of the left border while moving to the right? I want some kind of "perfect" support loop" for the left side. I dont want that the support loop makes a transition to the right border shape while moving to the right.

Edit:
    And thanks, Select Through helps. With that active i dont need to confirm every step with the SpaceBar.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think such command exists under slide tool. But sliding with preserve curvature option might help regularize your subdivided result. Try to slide it with preserve curvature on while subdivision is on and see the difference yourself. If you need this cut for unsubdivided cage model to continue on building some shape then tough luck. When all fails then there's usually a script about it. Actually scripts are an essential part of modeling in modo.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Hey,
    where can i control the Subdivion Level of a Fusion Mesh ?
    Right now it looks like TurboSmooth with 1 or maybe 2 iterations. I like to have it on 3 or 4 for the Mesh Fusion Item.
    Can somebody help out?

Edit: Got it!