Home Technical Talk

I have a Zbrush problem I need help with. a Bug or no?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Cyberϟam vertex
What's going on here?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIeTI40t5vM  I can recreate the tool every time, though I don't know what it is. I am talking about, the hiding part. I was right clicking, in order to hide this scene. I think it's useful, though I don't know how to control it, without considering it a bug. If you can explain this, I would be thankful. 

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    To move the object perpendicular to the screen, that is, on the screen in-out axis, drag outside the Gyro in a vertical direction. Dragging upward moves the object away from you, and downward moves it toward you.

Note: By default, ZBrush’s window presents an orthogonal view-—it doesn’t use perspective–so an object doesn’t seem to change in size as it moves closer and farther. It simply changes position with relation to other parts of the drawing.

Note: If you move an object very far back, it first becomes partly covered by the back clipping plane, and if you keep moving it back, it becomes fully hidden.

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/2d-illustration/the-gyro/

Essentially you're not in Edit mode, so you're in 2.5d mode - the last stage of using a model to create pixels on the zbrush image document (which may or may not be what you want). By using the gizmo that way, you're pushing the model back into the document until its pixels get clipped out. 

• Cyberϟam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyberϟam vertex
    Deleted due to mistakes...
  • Cyberϟam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyberϟam vertex
    Cryrid Thanks for some info here 
    Essentially you're not in Edit mode, so you're in 2.5d mode - the last stage of using a model to create pixels on the zbrush image document (which may or may not be what you want). By using the gizmo that way, you're pushing the model back into the document until its pixels get clipped out. 

Ok thanks Cryrid. The gyro itself isn't what I was talking about. I was talking about, the clipping that's happening. I didn't realize Zbrush had an option, to do that. Do they in fact have a option, in the 2.5D mode to do that? I could use it, to hide my characters in "Fog of War or something of the like".

What happen was I was setting up a character, into a scene before working with it. So I unify my tool, and accidentally right click within the gryo real fast like. My tool then flipped and rotated 180 degrees. Once I realigned my tool, I found this problem. It's wasn't easy to see, though I knew there was something wrong. After right click dragging on my canvas, the clipping took place. I am making a very similar effect, within my project. So I though if I knew "What Tool" was doing this, I could offer interesting results. Other wise I will just be using, a photo shopping method.

• Cyberϟam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyberϟam vertex
    Also can I hide the gyro for screenshots, or do I have to use export with hide it?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
     Do they in fact have a option, in the 2.5D mode to do that?
    You might be able to use the 2d layers combined with the Displace Z slider, but there's a good chance this isn't what you really want since that would require working completely with pixols, and is highly destructive as a result. Personally I would just fake it by appending a plane to the 3D tool and using that as a clipping plane then you would be able to adjust it at will without destroying anything by converting the polygons to pixels.

For rendering, you would then either have to try to fake a mask pass to get a nicely anti-aliased pass, or use the plane as a boolean (or a guide for the slice curve brush). 

Also can I hide the gyro for screenshots, or do I have to use export with hide it?

The gyro is visible because you are currently in move/scale/rotate mode.  Switching back to Draw mode (q) will remove the gyro. 
  • Cyberϟam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyberϟam vertex
    Yeah I am working with Pixels mainly. I use the polys and rigging as a guide, to key frame my animation. Lower frame rate, though easier to get high pixel density, with correctness. Maybe when I am done making gifs with my stuff, (a learning a hobby thing) I will block things out and consider something more complex. Though that would require a upgraded GPU and some new hard drives, maybe even a wacom. For now I'll stick with making short animations, to get a good idea of how I want to accomplish my end goal. 

So far though I think ZBrush is awesome. I can load my characters up, throw a material on it and use the mixer to posterize for a low res guide, for a high res texture. The lighting is something ,I no longer have to really make sure I am maintaining, as ZBrush is doing a lot of work for me. And I can concept my idea of a scene, in a matter of minutes! Though like I said I am learning this tool, so it's really been an interesting learning experience.

Thanks for the input, every bit helps as I continue to learn ZBrush and it's many tools. 
  • Cyberϟam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyberϟam vertex
    Also I am still trying to figure out the best way to pose these models. I use rigs though, I am not sure, it's doing any better than transpose tool and masking...

• Cyberϟam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyberϟam vertex
    I wonder if I use block out, with the polymesh be easier to work with, when I am reposing my characters?