Home Technical Talk

Input slider limits in Maya 2017

I've had this issue for a while, but for other objects it wasn't as important (cube being limited to 50x50x50 etc).

The Curvature slider for the bend modifier only goes from -2 to 3, in degrees.
I can change the value directly, but then it becomes difficult and cumbersome.

I tried looking in the bend deformer options, changing the initial curvature or the bounds etc but nothing helped, it just goes back to 3 when I use the slider.
The official documentation says the Curvature slider for the bend tool should go from -180 to 180, so -2 to 3 degrees just seems wrong.

How could I go about fixing this problem, along with all the other random input limits for other sliders?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's oddly specific, I'd probably try deleting prefs first, or check mayaversion/prefs/viewTemplates/ to see if you have anything overriding sliders in there?
  • redarchfiend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's oddly specific, I'd probably try deleting prefs first, or check mayaversion/prefs/viewTemplates/ to see if you have anything overriding sliders in there?
    It's actually more general than just the curvature slider, many (maybe all) of the other channel box sliders also have limits.
    For example, a default polygon cube is limited to 50 units on its w*h*l sliders.
    But the curvature slider being limited to 3 degrees is obviously more impactful.

I've already tried deleting the AEtemplates and I did go remove prefs, but even with all that the problem persists.
    I know it sounds like a basic issue but I haven't been able to find any solution online which is why I am asking for assistance.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    50 is the default limit on a polyCube, so that's normal, but yes the bend's Curvature should go -180 to 180. Check mayainstallpath/scripts/others/performBend.mel for the section that starts with "float $maxCurv, $minCurv;" to check that the values are correct there.

Looking at this also reminds me that 3.14 is 180 degrees in radians. Check your working units under prefs>settings?
  • redarchfiend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    50 is the default limit on a polyCube, so that's normal, but yes the bend's Curvature should go -180 to 180. Check mayainstallpath/scripts/others/performBend.mel for the section that starts with "float $maxCurv, $minCurv;" to check that the values are correct there.

Looking at this also reminds me that 3.14 is 180 degrees in radians. Check your working units under prefs>settings?
    If I hold ctrl and use the slider I can go from -3.1 to 3.1, so you're right it does work with radians.

The code looks fine, which is weird since it looks like the program is just completely ignoring it.
    It was set to -180. to 180., and adding the 0s did not make any difference.

Even if I change the limits directly like this, it still limits the slider to [-pi, +pi]. After I exit, it hasn't been modified at all.

Having to use radians is one thing as it would be a pain for any non-slider tool, but there is another problem as well.
    My settings will not save. My workspace/windows/tool settings will save, but the only thing that will save is the new feature highlight color, which is quite useless.
    For example the toolbar will not save if I set it to Rigging or Animation, it will default to Polygons along with the angles changing back to degrees, etc.

I ran Maya in admin mode every time, and it did not crash. I even saved the scene to see if that would make a difference, and when saving settings it showed the message that the settings were saved properly, to the same pref folder that I am looking at.
    And it does update all the mel files in the folder after I exit, but when I start Maya again the settings haven't been changed.

I couldn't find the lines for each setting, so I couldn't test directly changing the settings through the files.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know of any scenario where maya could write to one set of preferences and read from another, but try checking your maya.env.

This sounds to me like an OS issue, but I'd think maya would complain if it couldn't write to the preferences file or the entire folder, but maybe it doesn't. I'd suggest checking that read-only isn't tagged, and that your admin user has privileges to write to that user folder, and/or the maya folder inside it. If you're on Windows, have you changed the location of the "my documents" to another drive maybe?
  • redarchfiend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know of any scenario where maya could write to one set of preferences and read from another, but try checking your maya.env.

This sounds to me like an OS issue, but I'd think maya would complain if it couldn't write to the preferences file or the entire folder, but maybe it doesn't. I'd suggest checking that read-only isn't tagged, and that your admin user has privileges to write to that user folder, and/or the maya folder inside it. If you're on Windows, have you changed the location of the "my documents" to another drive maybe?
    I do have privileges to write to the folders, also I went and set both the maya folder in the docs and my install directory, and all subfolders/files to non read only.
    It didn't have any effect though.
    Like I said before some options save, like the new features highlight color, the windows placements, etc.
    But the majority dont save.

Maya, My Documents, and my Windows installation is all on the same drive so I don't think there is a point to changing anything there.
    Any other ideas?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hum. Have you rebooted yet? The new features highlight is on by default, but toggling it off and then on does stick? You could rename the whole 2017 folder, Maya will recreate it back to essentially a factory reset.

I'm super tired and troubleshooting 5 different things right now. I've got that "It's on the tip of my tongue" feeling and can't figure this out, sorry! I'll post back tomorrow if I can think of anything. My only other suggestions is to uninstall maya, ensuring to delete all traces of it before reinstalling. Asking Autodesk support or their forums is an option too.
  • redarchfiend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hum. Have you rebooted yet? The new features highlight is on by default, but toggling it off and then on does stick? You could rename the whole 2017 folder, Maya will recreate it back to essentially a factory reset.

I'm super tired and troubleshooting 5 different things right now. I've got that "It's on the tip of my tongue" feeling and can't figure this out, sorry! I'll post back tomorrow if I can think of anything. My only other suggestions is to uninstall maya, ensuring to delete all traces of it before reinstalling. Asking Autodesk support or their forums is an option too.
    Yeah I've rebooted, and I've tried moving out the prefs folder for it to reset but not the entire 2017 folder. I'll try that.
    I was also thinking that uninstalling is probably my best bet at this point.
    I'll try the resetting the entire 2017 folder and then I'll give it a reinstall.
    Will post back on whether it works or not, thanks for the help that you've given me today.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My feeling was something that I wasn't asking; Do you get an error in the script editor?
  • redarchfiend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My feeling was something that I wasn't asking; Do you get an error in the script editor?
    Nope.
    Just woke up so I'm about to go reinstall.
  • CharlesLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlesLogan polycounter lvl 6
    Nope.
    Just woke up so I'm about to go reinstall.
    Did you get any results out of this? I'm having this issue with Maya 2018.5