Home Technical Talk

Retopologizing hard-surface

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mogorodnik polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone,

A bit of a stupid question, but how does one retopologize hard-surface models? Is it really just manually painting polygons on top of the model and manually matching the low-poly geometry with the high-poly one? What if it's something like a torus or some kind of a spherical surface? Surely it would be mad to manually retopologize something precise like that? I'm trying to get into Fusion 360 and since it's not subdiv modeling oriented i'm a bit unclear coming from Blender and the usual subdiv/baking the high-poly onto the unsubbed low-poly base workflow. Thank you.

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Typically when hard surface modelling you can remove edge loops and reconstruct the high poly to make a low poly model. I haven't used Fusion 360 but surely it can give you a low poly mesh to start from?

For very curved surfaces don't be afraid to start using traditional retopo tools, they can be very quick when you get into them. A lot of people will still manually retopo a whole character sculpt before detailing and baking.

Short answer, for best results, put in the extra effort, it's not as time consuming as it looks.
    (and if it's a static environment prop, you can always just decimate ;) )
  • mogorodnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mogorodnik polycounter lvl 5
    fearian said:
    I haven't used Fusion 360 but surely it can give you a low poly mesh to start from?
    Well, Fusion 360 is like CAD-lite. It gives you a pretty high-poly mesh even on the lowest export settings. I mean, it's parametric, so i guess one could just remove all the unnecessary little detail and do the rest, like unsubdividing curved surfaces, by hand? Guess i'll try that. Thank you for the advice.
  • 2bytes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    With CAD modeling you could remodel the nurbs version before exporting as polygons.