Home Technical Talk

When modeling helmets/etc, is it better to delete the mesh underneath or leave it?

Aldu
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Aldu polycounter lvl 2
I've been kind of caught up on something. I've been debating whether or not deleting the underlying mesh of a character is better when modeling something over the top of aforementioned mesh. For instance, I have my base mesh and start hard modeling a helmet over the head, would it be smarter to keep the two objects separate and delete the character's mesh as I go and join the objects once I'm done or keep the underlying mesh either way and then join them together?

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm unsure on how I should be wording it.

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8

During the modeling process, do what fits best for you. IF you want to export your character together with a helmet, its better for the game engine to delete overlapping faces (the skin beneath the helmet). In other cases overlapping faces can cause problems with skinning and clipping.

What you can do, if you also want to keep the head below the helmet, just put the faces you want to delete into a selectionset in your work scene, and delete them just before exorting.

• Aldu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aldu polycounter lvl 2
    antweiler said:

During the modeling process, do what fits best for you. IF you want to export your character together with a helmet, its better for the game engine to delete overlapping faces (the skin beneath the helmet). In other cases overlapping faces can cause problems with skinning and clipping.

What you can do, if you also want to keep the head below the helmet, just put the faces you want to delete into a selectionset in your work scene, and delete them just before exorting.

That's a good idea. I'd prefer to keep as much of the load off of the engine as possible but when considering character customization, I don't really think there's a straight-forward way to do this without having to load and reload the gear over the character's base mesh. But what you said does make sense when just worrying about a 3D model in general instead of a model that needs to be customized in-game. Thank you!