Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shark-tooth Maori Knife

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Schnittbrot polycounter lvl 4
In the coming days I will model a wooden Maori knife lined with broadnose and tiger shark teeth.
This weapon is meant as a portfolio piece as part of a Maori series I am starting today.

The workflow I intend to follow is: Model in Maya -> UV Layout -> Substance Painter -> Unreal 4

The awesome reference images were taken from: http://objects.prm.ox.ac.uk/pages/PRMUID25383.html

Day 1 Rough Blockout in Maya + Reference
-So far I have roughly matched the geo to the knives wooden shape, the structural height differences will be incorporated tomorrow
-Started to prepare edges in the flaxen and haliotis shell areas for extrusion

1.   Rough blockout in Maya + Reference                                                                          2. Smoothed geo preview                  

3. Geo on top of reference

4.Material Sheet

Replies

• Schnittbrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 2 Continued Blockout + Started Breaking Up Blobby Shapes
    -Added blockout geo for flax fittings
    -Changed hole shapes and altered edgeflow to better match the knifes mid-section

1. Unsmoothed Geo + Wireframe                                                            2. Smoothed Geo + Wireframe
  • Schnittbrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 3 Improved Edgeflow and hole accuracy

1. Unsmoothed Geo + Wireframe                                                                              2. Smoothed Geo + Wireframe
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Why aren't you using ZBrush/Mudbox for this? I think that would make your life a lot easier.