Home General Discussion

what art style is INSIDE , Rime , legend of zelda breath of the wild ?

shubham kumar
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
I never liked games like WOW or league of legend because i don't like those  art styles , i was always attracted towards realistic looking games like COD , battlefield , GTA  etc but since 2016 when  INSIDE came now Rime and Legend of Zelda i really wanted to know about this kind of art styles.
They don't looks like WOW  Lighting is really nice , textures are not blurry environments are awesome .
Can anyone explain me what is going on with this games what art style is this ? If i have to  create a environment like INSIDE in UE 4  what things should i keep in mind in  term of texturing or lighting ?

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    There isn't really a name for every aesthetic out there, these all just come under the descriptor of 'stylised'. Essentially you take the tools you have (shaders, renderers, engine features) and push them toward some concept or vision you have for what it should look like. Usually one does some concept art but you can just find it iteratively while testing and experimenting. 

This isn't really a satisfactory answer but what you're asking is so broad, it depends upon many things from the artist to the programmer to the designer etc. WOW is not only stylised, but its specifically as low-fi as it can get away with, but pushed to maximum polish. Making the most of limitations so that they aren't continually chasing the latest tech, but rather forever getting better stuff out of their limited but well defined style.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    If you like the style of those games, you should also check out Motigas Gigantic, the Witness and Abzu.

I gotta agree with @Chimp , there isnt really a name for it, but you could call WoW handpainted instead of stylized if you really need to separate them.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys , I think Rime and Legend of Zelda are using cel shading  .
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Does it gradiate? I thought it was a hard split between characters being cel shaded and environment from what I've seen?
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't gradiate. I'm assuming they are trying to get a handpainted look in the sense of 2d animated films.
    Where moving objects such as characters are more simply drawn, as they need to be drawn by hand every frame. To make their characters and moving object seem 2d they use cel shading.
     Whereas the backgrounds, or environments in this case, are traditinally handpainted with as much detail and fluff as possible, nothing cel shaded about it. =)

I think the Zelda style is very appealing, but I agree the whole "stylized" thing is confusing! I think your best bet is to analyze each game separately and try to reverse engineer their Art Rules to come up with what makes their style consistent and why you think it's appealing!

Specifics about INSIDEs rendering : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdN06E6Xn9E

If you were to create an Inside kind of environment, you should focus on Lighting, Composition and Silhuette. (Spoiler, this is what you should always focus on!) and they seem to have gotten alot of mileage out of their simple depth fog. Ignore texturing until you have 90% of the look nailed to be honest. 
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks , i was watching this really nice presentation from Jane ng and the way they used fog was really impressive it totally changed the overall look of the scene and everything was hand made and hand placed.  
    INSIDE also did a great job using fog and both were custom made fog not unity's standard fog. 
    <video> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTqmk1Zs_1I&lt;/video&gt;
    <video>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYnS3kKTcGg&lt;/video&gt;