Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Cannot Decode Data after crash

Cannibal Aardvark
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Cannibal Aardvark polycounter lvl 5
Hiya,

So, something weird has happened to my Substance Painter file. I've been working on a project for a few days, but now when I try to open it I just get an error message that reads "Cannot load this project with this version: Cannot decode data".

I was working on the file, as normal, and wanted to test the texture in-engine. So I exported the textures, saved the file, and when the save completed closed Painter. I then loaded up Fallout 4 (the game I was testing the textures in), and my PC blue screened. I restarted my PC, checked the textures in-engine, and then went back to Painter to do some tweaks. That's when I was greeted by the message above.

Everything else seems to be okay, and the exported textures were saved correctly, so it seems like it's just the painter file.

I'm using Version 2.4.1, build 1383.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It's unlikely the project will be recoverable unfortunately.
    You mention you closed Painter normally, did you had a crash report window when you relaunched it ?
    What kind of manipulation/work were you doing before saving ?
  • Cannibal Aardvark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannibal Aardvark polycounter lvl 5
    No crash report window. Program opened up like normal, no error messages or anything, and loads up any other projects with no problem. Other than the file not opening, everything seems the same as ever.

The last things I did in the project was change the project mesh to triangulated version, adjust some masks, and then exported. I've remade the project from a backup I had and tried to replicate the crash, but it doesn't seem to be happening anymore.
  • Brandon_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon_L polycounter lvl 2
    This just happened to me too, no crash was involved :(